Property Q&A in Penngrove>Question Details

Don S, Home Owner in Penngrove, CA

who do I call about construction defects?

Asked by Don S, Penngrove, CA Wed Feb 2, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Don, I assume you are asking this question in reference to a new builder home you purchased.

Buyer protections were significantly diluted in 2002 by legislative action via SB800 (a strong Builder lobby helped bring this about). Title 7 of the California Civil Code is now in place.

SB800 "...specifies the rights and limitations of individual owners of single family homes and individual units of attached dwellings and, in the case of a common interest development (i.e., condominium project), any association of owners, to bring an action for construction defects against a builder, developer or original seller ("builder"), and the requirements for doing so."

I cover SB800 on page 3 of this document:
You will also find an additional link that covers SB800 more thoroughly. A number of CA Civil Code Sections are touched on; however, the most prudent thing to do in my opinion is to seek legal advice!

Best, Steve
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011

SB800 is the legislation covering construction defects, and there are specific guidelines as to how claims should be filed and what is covered. You need to speak with an attorney who specializes in construction defects law. I don't know anything about this firm but here is one in the bay area -

Best Regards,

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
DRE# 01384425
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Feb 3, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer