Curiousmom, Home Buyer in Manhattan Beach, CA

what to do when home inspector makes a mistake after close of escrow?

Asked by Curiousmom, Manhattan Beach, CA Tue Nov 22, 2011

He stated that all windows were good and working condition. Home was built in 1987, all windows need to be replaced.

Answers

4
It seems strange that every window in the home needs to be replaced. This home is only 24 years old. What happened to the windows to require every one to be replaced. And how could that be missed by the buyer, the buyers agent, home inspector, termite inspector, listing agent, etc.

Before you spend money, you may want to get a second opinion.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 23, 2011
Most inspectors have E & O insurance. The agents also have a duty to inspect. The last place to investigate are the seller disclosures, the Transfer Disclosure Statement. There are 4 parties that could have possibly warned you about the problem.

Window replacement is a major project. Check the reports and disclosures. See if it was disclosed in any of the documents. Have you talked to your agent? Sorry I can't give you legal advice.

I wish I could help.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Nov 22, 2011
Personally, I would start by contacting the inspector and informing him/her of your discrepancy. Most inspectors that are worth their salt will be able to give you a pretty astute reason as to why they didn't call out any window issues. How long has it been since closing? What makes you think you have a problem?
Curious -

Who said the windows need to be replaced and what was the response of the inspector when you told him/her this information? An inspector is looking for open/close, lock-able, seals (if double paned), and cracks in glass. If something was missed, talk to the inspector about it. It would seem odd that all of them are not working? Or is it that someone recommended an upgrade?