Rolo, Other/Just Looking in Torrance, CA

what exactly does PV option mean when it comes to the school district in this area.?

Asked by Rolo, Torrance, CA Sat May 30, 2009

is there an absolute guarrantee that your kids will get into pv schools. or is a permitt required. or based on availability???

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:


This is a supplement to my answer below:

In 1983 the unincorporated area of Eastview was annexed to the City of Rancho Palos Verdes, but there were no changes made to school district boundaries and Eastview remained in the Los Angeles Unified School District. During the years 1983, through at least 1995, the LAUSD opposed all attempts of the PVPUSD to revise its District boundaries to include Eastview. In 1991 the entire Board of Education for PVPUSD signed Resolution 16 supporting the territory transfer for the Eastview area from LAUSD to PVPUSD. PVPUSD was successful in using the school district reorganization process that included an election where 84% of the Eastview residents approved the transfer. However, the process failed when the courts determined that the election was invalid since it did not include residents of the LAUSD. Ultimately,SB 1681 made Eastview an optional attendance area in 1999.

Those students who live in the Eastview area ( Area 88 in the boundary matrix at Attendance Boundaries ) have a one-time election to enroll in either the Palos Verdes School District ( attending Dapplygray Elementary and Miraleste Intermediate ) , or the Los Angeles Unified School District ( Dodson Middle School and Crestwood Elementary School. ). Those living in the Eastview area do not pay the bonded indebtedness on their property tax bills ( 2009/2010 of $21.64 per $100,000 valuation ) for the Palos Verdes School District, but instead are billed for the Los Angeles Unified School District bonded indebtedness on their property tax bills (2009/2010 of $151 per $100,000 valuation ). Eastview residents vote only on School Board elections for Los Angeles Unified Schools regardless of whether they have elected to attend the Palos Verdes School District.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Oct 8, 2010
In 1999, an optional attendance boundary was agreed upon by the two school districts in which residents in Eastview could opt to either send their children to PVPUSD schools or LAUSD schools. Middle school-aged students in the area may attend Miraleste Intermediate School and high school-aged students attend both Palos Verdes Peninsula High School in Rolling Hills Estates and Palos Verdes High School in Palos Verdes Estates. Elementary school students may attend Dapplegray Elementary in the Palos Verdes School District, The LAUSD school, Crestwood Elementary, serves a sizeable number of Eastview children.

If you meet the residency requirements detailed below, you are guaranteed a spot at a school within the district, but the local school within the enrollment boundary that you are in may not be able to take your child if that local school is impacted and over-enrolled for that grade level. The school district will work very hard to get all of your children in the same school, but if not possible because a school is impacted, they will try to transfer them in at a later date. Note that there are no enrollment boundaries for the High Schools. .

If you are moving into the area, it is important to immediately meet with the Principal of the local elementary or Intermediate school to see if there are enrollment issues.

First of all, you need to be a resident within the boundaries of the Palos Verdes School District. You must present ONE (1) of the THREE (3) following options to verify your name and home address (NO PHOTO COPIES ACCEPTED):
1. Current Electric and Southern California Gas Bills *
2. Current Electric Bill and Cable TV Statement *
3. Current Electric and Water/Trash Bills *
RENTAL AGREEMENTS, RENT RECEIPTS, OR TELEPHONE BILLS are not sufficient proof of residency, unless accompanied by additional verification. You must present at least three (3) other acceptable documents (originals) listed below:
• Provide a current letter on PROPERTY MANAGEMENT COMPANY LETTERHEAD ONLY stating utilities are included in the rent.
• Current computer printout of DMV Car Registration (where you reside). (When you move, you must give your new address to the DMV within 10 days. IT'S THE LAW)
• Current Car Insurance Statement (at home, where you reside)
• Current Bank Statement (checking or savings - not checks)
• Current Verification of Residence Service Letter from So. Cal Edison **
• Current Verification of Residence Service Letter from So. Cal Gas **
• Current Moving Company Receipt from Prior Address to New Address
• California Identification Card
• Voter Registration Card
** Must show parent/guardian name, address and date of service followed by utility bill that is presented to school within thirty (30) days.
Escrow papers WITH A CLOSING DATE OF 60 DAYS OR LESS AND NO CONTINGENCIES may be considered at the beginning of a school year.

Within specific guidelines and capacity limits, District policy allows the children of parents who work 20 or more hours per week within the boundaries of the PVPUSD to attend District schools.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
There is an area of Rancho Palos Verdes (Eastview) that was annexed by RPV many years ago. Those living in this area have the choice of LA Unified schools or PV schools. The PV schools have been impacted for some time and I always advise people to check with the particular school for the grade they would like to enroll their child in prior to purchasing a new home.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 30, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2014 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer