Property Q&A in Fort Worth>Question Details

Michelle L J…, Home Buyer in Fort Sam Houston, TX

what does is mean, "needs polishing?" does that mean the plumbing, electricity and gas lines need redoing ...

Asked by Michelle L Johnson, Fort Sam Houston, TX Sat Feb 18, 2012

along with the foundation? i know this area and the house looks like it's been sitting up for awhile. i am fort worth native ... new home buyer ... active duty overseas ... I want to make best buy with very little "sweat equity."

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3055518796-1603-Washington-Av…

Answers

5
We need to check a couple of things first....like what kind of financing you plan to use. VA and FHA are the most common. If that is the case, then you will mostly likely need to buy a property in good shape to meet VA and FHA guidelines.

1st step now is to get prequalified with a lender. You might can do that with the bank or credit union on base. See how much home they say you can afford, and also what type of loan you qualify for. Then we can try to pick properties that might work for your price point and quality needed.
Bruce Lynn, Real Estate Pro in Coppell, TX
Dear Michelle,

It means you need an experienced Realtor to represent you and assist you with the process of inspecting and purchasing a house.

My qualifications include: 32 years of selling houses in Tarrant County; Certified Instructor in Credit Repair; Licensed Agent with a Fort Worth Life Insurance company; financial consultant; energy consultant; and Retired Air Force officer from Carswell AFB.

If you decide to engage my services, or "hire me", my commission will be paid by the owner of the property, or their Broker. This means there is no money required out of your pocket. ~And yet you get the benefit of me legally representing you in the transaction.

Are you wishing to buy a house while you are still PCS overseas? Or will you wait to purchase after you come back to Fort Worth?

If you are wanting "very little sweat equity", then you should not be looking at properties that will require a lot of work to make them liveable. Forget "needs TLC", or "needs polishing", or "needs some work." There are too many good houses out there for sale that we don't have to settle for something that needs a lot of work. (And they are usually over-priced!!)

I can help you get qualified for a mortgage loan to buy a house of your choosing.
I can help you find a good inspector to make sure the property is in good condition before you agree to buy it.
I can help you set up insurance coverage with USAA, or other companies. (Without insurance, you can't get the loan!)
I can help you process the required documentation for the mortgage company. (What they don't know won't hurt you.)
I can help you hook up your utilities and get the best rates with an electric company.
I can make sure everything is done correctly so your loan will close and fund on time. Only THEN will you get the keys!

The bottom line is I CAN HELP YOU.

So contact me right away, even if you won't be ready to buy a house for awhile. I'll guide you through the whole process.

If you have questions, I will find the answers for you. (I may not know them all, but I know where to find them!)

Thank you for your service to the country, and God bless you! ...We will see you when you get PCS orders back home!

Rick DeVoss, Lt. Col. USAFR

---The Michael Group

817-300-6121

rickdevoss@realtor.com

IGNITE ...we light up the world...

========================
Term needs polishing to me means don't be anticipating walking into a prefect organized home you see in the magazines. Requires to other issues you referenced would be noted in the inspection report.

GREAT MYTH: "Sweat equity" if there is most would cost more to rehab ! Which would "eat all your sweat equity"

Lynn911 Dallas Realtor & Consultant, Credit Repair Advisor
972-699-9111
http://www.lynn911.com
Michelle,
It is difficult to know what exactly "needs polishing" means. That seems subjective. The very best way to determine whether the home will require more sweat equity than you are up for is to go and tour the property. I will be happy to make an appointment for you at your convenience. Fairmount is a neighborhood where I do a lot of transactions. This location is very desirable. I am happy to talk you through the latest happenings in this neighborhood. Both tax dollars and private money are being invested in the area. Please feel free to contact me with additional questions or to schedule an appointment. marycarolyn@williamstrew.com (817)291-2345
A home of that age, you never know what you are getting into. Possibly knob and tub wiring, termite damage, cast iron plumbing, etc. It depends how many times it's been remodeled and if it was done correctly. Especially with a listing description like that and only 3 pics. Get a home inspection if you are seriously interested and want to see exactly what you are looking at. The inspection report can be emailed to you wherever you are in the world. Thanks for your service.

John
Systematic Home Inspections
214-600-4344