Angeloabrams, Home Buyer in Philadelphia, PA

what do i have to do to rent out all the rooms in my town house like student housing and about how much would it cost?

Asked by Angeloabrams, Philadelphia, PA Sun Nov 20, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


The first thing is getting in touch with the City of Philadelphia to see what licenses you need for a ROOMING HOUSE Which is not the same as apartments also you will need to check the building code for required alarms with must be in the house and then check zoning and get the required variances at each step you can inquire about what fees are required. I would start with zoning since that is going to require community input if there is a community association. The fines can be rather large if you don't dot the I's and Cross the T's. If you need more info please call me at 215-725-725-5700 X49. A large part of my practice is in Landlord representation

Philip J. Cunningham Sr
V.I.P. Realty Corp.
7942 Bustleton Ave
Philadelphia, PA 19152
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 21, 2011

You can either hire an agent to show and rent the property for you or you can do it yourself. Most people use craigslist as this is the most effective method of advertising rentals.

If you hire an agent prices may vary from broker to broker. So you should call a few to get a feel for prices and fit.

My broker, Solo Realty, also does property management.

Hope that helps. Let me know if you have anymore questions.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 21, 2011
Hi Angelo, if I understand correctly, it sounds like you own a 3 bedroom townhome, for example, you don't live there or are moving out and would like to rent all rooms individually.

That is what I call house-share and yes, it does happen in Philadelphia, ofttimes in the University or Art Museum area. Also near Temple University.

You could certainly hire the services of a Realtor, but for something like that, many people have luck with Craigslist. If you would like my assistance coming up with prices, please let me know.

I would make sure you have proper insurance in place, you will want to consider running each occupant's credit, make sure you are fully registered with the City as a landlord, etc.

Feel free to contact me if you would like to chat more about this.

Best of luck,

R. Eric Axelson, Associate Broker
Licensed in NJ and PA
Kurfiss Sotheby's International Realty
856.617.1212 mobile
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Nov 21, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer