Property Q&A in Tampa>Question Details

Jessica, Home Buyer in 33579

so Im wondering about property taxes

Asked by Jessica, 33579 Fri Jul 12, 2013

OK so im buying in a new community and how do I find out how much the taxes will be? right know its like 516.00 but come next year Its going to go up but I want to know how much? its in Riverview,FL

Answers

5
Jessica, the first year the property taxes are based upon the lot. You can estimate the property taxes by multiplying the assessed value by the millage rate (percentage). If you are the first home to be built in the new home community, then you will need to check with the county's tax collector.

Often the new homes sales representative has the ability to calculate this future value for you. Keep in mind if this will be your homestead than the homestead exemption will apply.

Some new home communities also carry a community development district tax which is usually paid with your property taxes.

Realtors save buyers money when buying a new home. Having worked with many new home buyers, there are incentives and questions that I have procured for my clients at the time of contract.

Lynn Brock
Brock Realty Inc.
941.313.1234
http://www.brockrealty-inc.com
It sounds like you may not have a Realtor assisting you with your builder purchase.

If you don't have a Realtor at your side protecting you then you need to get everthing "in writing" from the builder's salesperson. Ask him/her for a written breakdown of what your expected taxes are.

Many new communities pay exhorbitant "extra" taxes in the form of Community Development District Taxes. I hope you were well aware of the significant expense (that can last for 30 years in many CDDs) before you signed your builder contract.

Also you absolutely should pay for a multistage home inspection. This will ensure the builder's project manager does everything correctly because they know they will have a contractor overseeing the work. You cannot expect the county building inspector to catch even significant defects.

I have personally been involved with 3 homes where the builder made significant errors with the structure and it could have been catostrophic. In one case I assisted a seller and fortunately the property was 9 years old when they decided to sell because the whole support system in the attic was installed incorrectly. It fell within the 10 year structural warranty so the $40k repair job didn't cost the Seller. The roof could have collapsed under high winds, though and could have resulted in serious injury to the family living in that substandard house!

Alma Kee
All the answers below are great. If you would like to get pre qualified and learn more about your financing option, please give me a call. 727-365-3133 Bridgeview Bank Member FDIC D.Blockel@MyBBMC.com

http://www.MyBBMC.com
There is a tax estimator link on the hillstax.org site for Hillsborough County tax assessors office. Try that! Jan Zalasin KW Tampa Properties 813-417-0121
Hi Jessica, Are already working with a Realtor? These are questions that your Realtor should help understand. Go to the County's Property Appraiser website, there is a calculator, called online tax. First find out the market value of your property in the same website. The estimator will give you a close estimate depending if your property will be homesteaded or not and the location, it will multiply by millage rate, but it wont include any non-ad valorem taxes that may be applicable to this property, such as assessments for roads, fire, garbage, lighting, drainage, water, sewer, or homeowner association fees, that will be added to your actual tax bill.
Franches Schnell, REALTOR
Realtor.Franches@live.com
813 784-2663
Future Home Realty
*HABLO ESPAñOL