Property Q&A in Chicago>Question Details

lolihoda, Home Owner in Chicago, IL

should I tuckpoint my brick garage or tear it down and build a frame garage?

Asked by lolihoda, Chicago, IL Mon Jun 24, 2013

Add some detail about your question

Answers

11
Hi, Lolihoda:

Well ... it all depends on how much work the garage really needs. Is it just tuckpointing, or are the brick walls sagged, crumbling, fallen down? How are the roof shingles and roof supports? I'm a big fan of brick garages, since they protect the property inside better than a frame garage when they are properly maintained.

Tuckpointing a one or two car garage shouldn't cost much. Building a new one easily could cost over ten thousand dollars. If the brick matches the home standing next to it, aesthetically it looks better than a frame garage, too.

Remember, most of the cost of a new frame garage is in the cement for the pad. The wooden superstructure and the labor are the minority of the cost.

If the brick is crumbling and can't be repaired, there is a happy medium if you want to preserve aesthetics. A good mason can salvage enough bricks to face your new garage so that it matches your home's facade.

Overall, preserving the current structure will probably cost you less money than a tear-down and rebuild. Get three estimates for repair, and another three for rebuild -- I think you'll find that keeping your current structure will save you a bundle!

Don Pasek, CIPS, TRC, ADPR
Omniterra Real Properties
Chicago
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jun 24, 2013
It would be a lot more cost effective to tuckpoint your garage. I would recommend that you tuckpoint it.
Hi, the garage is attached or detached?
Tuckpoint it, don't tear it down. I brick garage is a better asset and only needs tuckpointing every 30-50 years.

Ivan Sagel
312.515.7823
ivan@atproperties.com
http://www.atproperties.com/agents/IvanSagel
I like brick garage i will keep it
Hello!
A brick garage adds more value to the home on resale, so it is worth the expense for tuckpointing.
Be well!
Brick is better. ...also what will cost you more? teardown or tuckpointing?
Brick is always better. I would tuckpoint it. Call up some contractors and see what it costs, but it wont be too bad. It will hold up better in the long run.
Web Reference: http://AmericorpRe.com
Call Dan Huschen at 773 593 6088. He's a general contractor that can quote you for both and discuss options with you.

Jeff Nobleza
Baird & Warner Real Estate
I personally think brick is much better. Clean it up and show it off. You could acid stain the floor and urethane seal it to make it prettier. I did that to my mother's garage floor. Looks like marble.
This is your personal preference, do what which you believe to be the best route to take.

Sohail A. Salahuddin | Founder and Team Leader

Innovative Property Consultants Group | Sales and Leasing

http://www.innovativepropertyconsultants.com

Jameson Sotheby’s International Realty

425 W. North Ave. | Chicago, IL 60610 

O: 312.335.3230 | C: 312.437.7799 | F: 847.805.6030

"Extraordinary Service For Extraordinary Lives"