Property Q&A in Orlando>Question Details

Ms Brown, Both Buyer and Seller in Saint Albans, NY

my dauhter is dyslexic. are the schools in the district able to accomidate children with special needs?

Asked by Ms Brown, Saint Albans, NY Sat May 9, 2009

what is the national rank of the orange county school district. where does the metrowest district rank.

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/Florida/Orlando/sold/4101113-769…

Answers

2
Ms. Brown,

From my experience as a parent of a child with special needs and past PTA president the first step with learning disabilities is getting your child diagnosed. Once they have been diagnosed the public school system will set up an IEP (Individualized Education Plan) to address your child's special needs. It is still up to you to be involved and when necessary advocate for your child.

To find out how the school has performed in standardized tests look on the school board website http://www.ocps.net On the bottom of that page, in the middle is quick links, 2008 school grades. The grades have not come in yet for 2009. Please keep in mind that these tests are not perfect indicators of the school's ability to meet your individual child's needs. I would encourage you to talk to the principal of the school as well and to visit the school.

Best of luck,

Lorraine Burch, REALTOR, GREEN, TRC, e-PRO
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009
My wife is a VE teacher here in Orange county, and I have to say that I think they do a fantastic job here to accommodate children with all types of special needs. Orange county public school system is the eleventh largest school system in the county and certainly one of the most diverse. You need to speak with the adminstrator at your home zoned school regarding special needs to see if that school has the help your daughter needs. If they don't they may recommend another school close by that has a program to help her.

Best of luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat May 9, 2009