Property Q&A in Atwater>Question Details

Yolo_0708, Home Owner in Atwater, CA

just got my keys to my new home, people who used to live there want to go back and get their water filter from my house can i say no?

Asked by Yolo_0708, Atwater, CA Sat Aug 27, 2011

they want to take thei water softener but the sale closed i got my keys and the documents i received say that the house is sold "as is" because it was a shortsale.

Answers

5
Hi Yolo,

No, you do not have to let them. If this is a water softener for the entire home and it is built into the water lines then it is definitely part of the home unless stated in the contract as a "none included" item.

I think this is a situation that should be dictated by what is right, not what rights do they or you have. If you did not think this item was part of the sale then maybe give it back. This is a short sale and these people have lost their home. Maybe they don't need anymore hardship. Just a thought. These are tough times for many and if we all showed a little compasion to our fellow man the tough times would be less tough.

Eric Soderlund
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sat Aug 27, 2011
Yolo,

I can understand why you don't want to be helpful to people who are not being nice, but you should re-key everything in your house after buying anyway, because you never know who else might have keys.
i dont care for the filter they just wanted to come in and take the bmw they left in the garage and for the filter. i dont care, what bothers me is that they didnt turn in all the keys we are missing keys so as soon as we saw that we had to replace everything. they even kept a key to the garage door. they refused to turn those in. and they gave me the hardest time!
Yolo, it's really a value and moral judgment call that only you can make. Technically, it's your home and all the contents therein belong to you. As the age ole adage goes "Possession is 9/10 of the law". So you pretty much own the water filter.

Answer? No. You really don't have to let them have the water filter. But why would you not want them to have it? Were they nasty to deal with? Or, is it just a matter of principal? Frankly, unless they gave you a hard time and you just want to get even, I'd let them have it. It's so incidental in the overall scheme of things and you'd probably be better off with a new one anyway.

Philosophically it's kind of a Karma thing. If it makes you feel good keeping something that means something to someone and doesn't really mean anything to you then I guess it's yours. Good luck on this one and enjoy your home and all its contents.
Yolo,

Agree with Eric on all counts.

Lance King/Owner-Managing Broker
lance@fixedrateproperties.com
415.722.5549
DRE# 01384425