Property Q&A in Lehigh Acres>Question Details

ronrankin65, Home Buyer in Port Richey, FL

is there a kit for testing cdw?

Asked by ronrankin65, Port Richey, FL Mon Jun 4, 2012

Answers

4
Most home inspectors will initially look for visual signs of CDW before ordering more intrusive inspections. Fortunately, CDW usually gives some pretty obvious visual signs of it's existence. Corrosion of chrome, copper, and the backs of mirrors to name a few. Copper seems to be the most reactive metal to look for. It turns black with a powdery coating almost like soot. There are several places in your home you can check to see if there is noticeable damage to copper. The copper tubing coming out of the A/C air handler is a good place to start. Also, even if your home have PVC plumbing, most faucets have copper tubing under the sink and connecting with the PVC. Home inspectors will typically take the cover off an electrical outlet in each room to check the copper ground wire looking for evidence of CDW.
You can look yourself for these visual signs. If you are unsure or see anything that is suspicious, call a local home inspector for a second opinion.

Dave Lang
239-677-8780

http://www.SWFloridaHomeSearch.com
No there is not to my knowledge. Several different types of tests are available - wall samples, visual, interior air samples and even K-9 tests.

There are lots of qualified inspectors out there. It would be worth talking to a few for what is involved and general information on CDW.

http://www.chinesedrywall.com
From what I also understand;
59% of it was sent to Florida.
That doesn't mean that 59% of the homes in Florida have the stuff.
Probably a very small percentage do.
From what I understand, it LOOKS just like normal gypsum:
The way you can tell is by removing some where there are copper pipes and looking at the pipes.
There may be a kit; but I'm not aware.

Good luck and may God bless