Property Q&A in Atlanta>Question Details

Mc, Other/Just Looking in Atlanta, GA

is a terminte bond necessary or is a terminte letter and annual inspection sufficient?

Asked by Mc, Atlanta, GA Tue Sep 15, 2009

have been getting quotes on termite bond renewal and they all want to charge an arm and a leg for liquid treatment or bait system. just unsure how much a bond should cost if no termite damage. it's like being held hostage to get a bond.

Answers

3
Dear MC -
Although it may seem like being held hostage to get a bond, it is highly recommended! There are basically only two types of houses in Georgia, ones that have termites, and ones that will get them! It is advisable to not only get a bond, but to pay for a Repair and Retreat bond, which will cover most or all of the repair of damage caused by termites if you get an infestation. Make sure you use a reputable company, and look at the transferability of the bond - is there a cost to transfer the bond to someone to whom you sell the property? Those details can be very important...Hope this helps!
Ali
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Sep 15, 2009
I like to think of it as termite insurance.

It's always cheaper not to let your coverage lapse. Once you have your property treated it's not very expensive to keep up a bond. It will pay for itself if you ever have an infestation.
Mc,

A termite bond is not necessary accept the fact that termites are eminent in Georgia. You have to look at it from the bond company's perspective. If they issue a bond, they are responsible to guarantee the bond and if you end up getting termites they have to insure getting rid of them and if it's a repair bond, take on the expense of all repairs. Therefore, if the termite company issues a bond, they want to make sure that termites will not show up any time soon. Most bonds are good for 5 years (which is about how long a treatment will last as well). Hence, the reason why they want to retreat. NO company will issue a bond without being the one who treated. They don't trust another company's treatment and treatment only lasts so long. A company will usually charge about $400-$500 for initial treat and $125-$175 a year for a renewal. Baiting systems are more. Usually about $500-$800 initially, and $200-$300 a year, but that's because they inspect four times a year as opposed to once. I know it seams like a racket, but I personally have had 3 infestations of termites in the past two years and I've had two liquid treatments and a baiting system installed. I have a company I would recommend to you if you are interested. Good luck in avoiding termites, but it's going to happen eventually.