Property Q&A in 08330>Question Details

Pink07, Other/Just Looking in 08330

in the state of NJ who can have a legal right to collect rent payments if not the owner of the property??

Asked by Pink07, 08330 Fri Jul 17, 2009

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi there...check this link, I think you might have it already...…

From the NJ Real Estate Commission we get this...

"Pursuant to N.J.S.A. 45:15-1 and 45:15-3, if a person or firm rents, or offers or attempts to negotiate the rental of real estate, or collects or offers or attempts to collect rent for the use of real estate, or assists or directs in the procuring of prospects or the negotiation of any transaction which does or is contemplated to result in the leasing or renting of any real estate, they must be licensed as a real estate broker if they do so for a fee, commission, or other valuable consideration, or by reason of a promise or expectation of such compensation. Thus, when property management firms provide any of these services for compensation, the statutory requirement for licensure as a broker does apply to them."

This info came from:
Official Publication of the NJ Real Estate Commission
Department of Banking and Insurance
20 West State Street, CN 328, Trenton, NJ 08625-0328
Spring, 1997

The link to this is

Laura Giannotta
Keller Williams Atlantic Shore
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 17, 2009
Hi Pink -

Although I m not an attorney and you should direct this question to an attorney... I am thinking any designated party authorized by the landlord. -or- if the landlord died, the executor of the property / attorney / heirs. I am curious, why the question?
1 vote Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 17, 2009
Any representative of he owner or a property manager--who usually takes a % of rent collected.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 17, 2009
That is a legal question. I'd suggest that you consult a real estate attorney and give him/her the details of your question in order to obtain an answer. You may also consult the NJ Department of Community Affairs Landlord/Tenant Information Services and request a "Truth in Renting Booklet". Or find useful information on the website
0 votes Thank Flag Link Fri Jul 17, 2009
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer