Property Q&A in Maine>Question Details

Skndog, Home Buyer in Maine

i recently bought an older home in portland maine theirs asbestos in basement what are my rights post closing the asbesto wasnt removed properly

Asked by Skndog, Maine Wed May 25, 2011

now that im in the home i noticed that their are fibers all over the basement walls .i have gotten someone from biosafe to check it out and will be sending me an estimate to have it removed.i was told by our realtor that in maine asbestos on the elbows is normal but its everywhere and im concerned about our health. DENIS CHAMBERLAIN

Answers

1
I'm glad you're having it tested. There is a fungus that occurs in basements that looks like white fibers and is harmless. With regards to your rights after the sale - it all depends on what the Disclosure the Sellers filled out says. If the property was represented as not having Asbestos but tests positive you may have recourse. If the Disclosure states "unknown" and you did not test - you may have no recourse. If you had a building inspection but opted to not test for Asbestos because the Disclosure said "none", you may have a case. No matter what the case may be - you will need an attorney to sort things out. Usually an initial consultation is free.