Property Q&A in 10017>Question Details

Elmoelmo, Home Buyer in 11372

i have inherited a small cooperative apartment in NYC from my sister . Can I file a quit claim deed at county clerk's office? I am the sole

Asked by Elmoelmo, 11372 Tue Jun 19, 2012

heir.

Answers

2
This question appears to be a duplicate--in any case before considering such an idea, consult with an attorney; keep in mind that when it comes to co-ops, co-op ownership represents an interest (i.e. stock) in realty....
you better check with your attorney, if you have one... ownership to cooperative apartments is registered through shares of a corporation that owns a building and not through a deed to real property (one does not own real property in a coop and owns shares of the corporation that owns the building)- you would have the shares of the corporation to be re-issued on your name and so the proprietary lease. You can also call the managing agent of the coop and ask what documents prooving that you inherited from your sister they would require in order to change the shares and the lease on your name