Property Q&A in Los Angeles>Question Details

Propertymana…, Renter in Los Angeles, CA

how much is the average commission for a rental in california to the agent that brings the tenant?

Asked by Propertymanager99, Los Angeles, CA Thu Sep 16, 2010

Answers

7
It can be a flat fee or a percentage. I don't do a lot of rental listings, but I did one recently & I just looked around at other comparable rentals in that specific neighborhood to see what other agents were offering & went off of that. I was offering about $600 & our rent price was $2000/mo. The percentage was 2.5% based on the total lease term ($24,000 X 2.5%).

EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 cell
1 vote Thank Flag Link Thu Sep 16, 2010
In our area most are offered at 5% but one month gets the best response and the more qualified clients.
Whew! I'd bring a client for a month's rent (that's over 8% per annum). At least in LA, a majority are posting 3% of the first year's gross rental--which is why no agents focus on leases. You can choose to be typical--or have the favored opinion of many agents bringing clients to you.
Ideally 3-10% of the lease term for most residential properties.
Web Reference: http://www.victor4homes.com
Hi property manager,
It varies in LA County. I've seen between 3 and 10% depending on what the owner and the realtor that list the property decide.
Hope this helps!
Generally the agent gets 2.5-3% of the total lease amount. For example, if you sign a 1 year lease at $2k per month, that is $24k total so the commission paid would be $720 to the agent that brought the buyer.
One month rent is typical. Owners may try to negotiate or spread payments over time, but that's a typical amount.