Katie Swartw…, Home Buyer in Emmaus, PA

how do i find out about previous electric bills for a reo home?

Asked by Katie Swartwood, Emmaus, PA Fri Feb 3, 2012

Answers

2
Katie,
I would call PPL for this information. You may have an issue where the previous owner has an outstanding bill. They might have paperwork for you to fill out( if you go ahead with a purchase) that states that you do not know the previous owner, etc. They should be able to give out this information to you, just explain the situation. If the property has gas by propane tank, you may run into the same situation here as well. You will need to find out who owns the tank. That can easily be found on the tank lid area.

I hope this information helps and feel free to call/email me if you have any further questions!

Emily Landis Torres
Realtor, PA Licensed since 1993
RE/MAX Central
1110 N. Broad Street
Lansdale, PA 19446
Phone: 215-362-3100 ext 1793
Direct: 267-640-2327
Fax: 267-354-6866
Email: emily@emilyshomeinfo.com
Website: http://www.emilyshomeinfo.com
I
Good question. It's easy if the home is still occupied. The owner simply calls PPL and requests a years' worth of bills. With an REO, I suggest you contact the listing agent (is it listed?) and see if the current owner (bank/investor) will either get the info. you've requested, or sign an authorization allowing you to get it from PPL. I do not know PPL's poilicy regarding this, but it's worth a call. If that fails, you could consider having a professional (electrician/home inspector/HVAC contractor) visit the home to evaluate the systems in place. If the heat is electric forced air, for instance, a good HVAC mechanis can tell you how good (ie. efficient) the system is. Further, a good generalist (contractor/inspector) can provide valuable information regarding the overall homes' efficiency level, including windows, doors, insulation, etc. I know this sounds like a bit of work, but proper due diligence can prevent unwanted surprises in the future should you purchase this home. Feel free to call or write with further questions.