Property Q&A in Cape Coral>Question Details

Pddally, Other/Just Looking in Michigan

how bad is the chinese drywall problem?

Asked by Pddally, Michigan Sun Dec 18, 2011

how would you know if this drywall was in the house you want to buy?

Answers

8
Hello Pddally,

I believe your questions can be answered correctly by visiting the "Center for Disease Control & Prevention" website@ http://www.cpsc.gov/info/drywall/index.html (the Drywall Information Center). Please visit my website for more interesting facts including links to the CDC, EPA & HUD.

Hope this information was helpful. Please feel free to contact me for further assistance (I too am from Michigan & the defective drywall problem was a big concern of mine before I relocated to the Cape).

Therese A Clapp, Licensed Florida Realtor
MBA, GRI, SFR, AHWD, REPM
Member of REBAC: Buyer Representation
Century 21 Sunbelt Realty, Inc.
725 Cape Coral Pkwy W
Cape Coral, FL 33914
Primary: 239-542-4777
http://www.thereseclapp.com
Web Reference: http://www.thereseclapp.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Dec 18, 2011
I don't think much if any is left
Hi there,
I show homes to buyers like yourself all the time. I might find a C.D. house occassionally but not nearly as often as we did 2-3 years ago. Most of the homes have been remediated or are listed as having C.D. in the special remarks. Our "AS IS" sales agreement allows you to have a home inspection contingency for your protection. I refer inspectors to my clients that actually use micro cameras that can go into the bathroom vanities to detect labels and they also check A/C and refrigerator coils and ground wires in each wall socket for black sooting that is another strong indicator besides the smell or seeing a label on the back of the drywall. Happy to help you when you are ready to shop. Please use my weblink below to look at the entire list of homes available on the FL Gulf Coast MLS.

Sarah Garrett, Realtor
ALLIANCE REALTY GROUP
"Chosen Best in Client Satisfaction 2006-2011" by Gulfshore Life Magazine
Email: sarahgarrett@argfl.com
Weblink:
The chinese drywall is a major problem and very expensive to remediate. Also, time will tell how well rediation truly works. ALWAYS have a home inspection on any home that could possibly have the defective drywall. I have been in several homes where it was very obvious but I have also been in homes that it was difficult to detect. A couple of these homes only had 1 room with the defective drywall that the home inspector I work with caught.

Work with a buyers agent who can look out for you and advise you on inspections as well as making sure your contract is written correctly so you do not make a very costly mistake.

Terry McCarley, Realtor®, CDPE - Jones & Co Realty
email: leecountyrealtor@earthlink.net
cell: 239-707-4574
Oh, one other thing, if you walk into a house and your eyes start burning and throat gets scratchy that's a good indicator.

I recently discovered how sensitive I am to it when walking into a home that was freshly painted I initally thought the slightly off smell was from the paint but within a minute I was coughing eyes were watering.

Confirmed later that it was a Chinese drywall home that wasn't listed as such.

Always get an inspection.

One way for a layperson to perofrm a quick preliminary check is to pull an electrical outlet out. If the ground wire is black/corroded that's a pretty good indicator as well.

Respectfully,
Anthony.
Home inspections generally include a visual defective drywall segment. You can also have further testing completed if you are unsure. Several different types of defective drywall inspections are out there - xray, wall samples, air quality.

Defective drywall affected approximately 1700 homes in the county although numbers could be higher if people did not report it.
Not sure how to best answer this question because I am not sure exactly what you mean.

Chinese drywall is very expensive to remediate, however recently a lawsuit was settled against one major Chinese drywall manufacturer.

If you mean how bad is the risk of ending up with a property that has Chinese drywall unknowingly, I would say minimal if due diligence is practiced. All qualified inspectors should be able to detect Chinese drywall if undisclosed and all home sellers that have it usually know quite well and must disclose the fact.

If you have any other questions on this feel free to email me directly.

I hope helped answer your question.

I apologize in advance for any spelling or spacing errors ad this was sent from my Android.

Respectfully,
Anthony
Your Realtor can find out for you. Make sure you get a buyers agent to work for you.
Carolyn