Property Q&A in Big Lake>Question Details

oooooooo, Other/Just Looking in Big Lake, MN

hi I'm just wondering on this MLS#4088267. if you can put a house and a mother in laws apartment on the land Thanks.

Asked by oooooooo, Big Lake, MN Wed Apr 11, 2012

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:


Yes, I guess I would suggest the same thing, ooooooo. It depends on whether or not you would be wanting this to be open for public rental and leasing. If so, there are far more stringent standards you must follow according to your municipality.

I, too, would check with the City of Big Lake or the Township and see what they have to say about your intentions.

Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Thu Apr 12, 2012
You would have to checkcalled on the zoning for the area in which this land is located. Typically, a so-called "mother-in-law" apartment is not a legal rental unit, but could be subject to some municipal requirements. Have you thought about building a two-unit, maybe a side-by-side or a duplex? This would give you more value, probably not cost you more when you are building, and then you would have a legal, rentable second unit. You might want to look into it. Have your agent check the possibilities for you. Liz, 612-986-4105.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Apr 11, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer