Property Q&A in Brooklyn>Question Details

Svetlana, Home Buyer in 11206

co-op board limiting water pressure?

Asked by Svetlana, 11206 Sun Oct 14, 2012

In short - to cut down expenses, our management has decided to install water pressure regulators in all the apartments (both owned and rented). Some of my neighbors are complaining that their shower heads have been changed.
Are they allowed to do this?

Dear Svetlana:

They would not be able to just go into your apartment unannounced for that. They would need to notify you in writing that they were going to do that and at least give you the opportunity to be present when it is done. At the same token, I am never surprised at what some co-ops do. Being that a co-op is not real property, they do not have to abide by the laws pertaining to actual real estate. Based on this they can get away with murder (well not actually murder but close to it).

Mitchell S. Feldman
Associate Broker/ Director of Sales
Madison Estates & Properties, Inc.
Office: (718) 645-1665/ Cell: (917) 805-0783
Check your original co-op paperwork; for any necessary legal advice consult with an attorney who specializes in real estate....