aimeelr619, Renter in National City, CA

can we get some short sale facts?

Asked by aimeelr619, National City, CA Tue Jul 10, 2012

Hi ,my husband and I are renting a small house from his boss(also the property owner), and right next to us (on the same property) is a big 4 bed. 3ba. house (which he also owns).His boss rents out rooms there.The house has had add -ons from the previous owners ( i think) that were built without permits .Here's the thing: my husband and I have lived here 3yrs.NONE of us living here are on a lease.This property is in not so great shape.None of us has spoken to the owner and when I ask my husband ?s he gets frustrated with me because he doesn't know what to tell me .The owner (my husband's boss) owns a business right next door to the property and he can't even take 15 min.to tell us a little about what's going on.This is a 1st time thing for me -i don't know bout every1 else in the other house. But i DO know that we all want 2 know what going to happen? Thanks .

Answers

2
Hi Aimee,

Is the owner short selling the property you're living in? If so, how do you know that if you're not talking to him?

Whatever the situation is, when you have no lease, you're on a month-to-month lease, and you still have tenant's rights - and the responsibility to pay rent. If the property condition isn't good, you have the responsibility to tell the owner what needs fixing, or you can give proper notice and find another home - no person or lease is making you stay.

If the owner is selling, he can transfer your security deposit to the new owner, give you proper notice to vacate, or the new owner can have you sign a lease, keep you on month-to-month, give you notice to vacate so they can live there, or even raise your rent if they think it's too low. The fact that the home doesn't have permits doesn't have anything to do with you as a tenant, unless the home is uninhabitable or unsafe. If that's the case, see above and see a real estate attorney to see what your options are.

In any case, you might want to start looking for another home in case you need, or want, to move.

Good luck to you!
thanks but i knew all that already -but BE NICE
Flag Tue Jul 10, 2012
Do you know if he is currently short selling the house? Or are you wanting to find out if the owner is in default, and at risk of foreclosing? I most likely can find out the details of both! Send me the address, my email is amanda@whisselrealty.com and I'll see what I can dig up for you!