Property Q&A in Denver>Question Details

Tricia, Home Owner in Denver, CO

a friend has been storing personal property at my home for a year while he left the state. when is this considered abandonded?

Asked by Tricia, Denver, CO Sat Sep 8, 2012

Answers

7
Have you attempted to contact them, you should be able to come to an agreement with a friend about them picking up their stuff. If they do not respond, contact an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
I would contact an attorney to get the correct answer for this question.

Mark Scanlan/Broker Associate
Brokers Guild Cherry Creek Ltd.
jmarkscanlan@aol.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Sep 9, 2012
I would recommend trying to contact them and then get something in writing. Document what you have done/tried and keep records so you can show a history. I dont know the laws around this but a written contract and documented history will support your case. As always the best answer will come from an attorney. Good luck.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Tricia,

I saw this episode on Judge Judy recently and it got really ugly. I would do my best to contact them and make some arrangements in writing as to time limits and terms of an agreement. Get it dated, notarized and certified. If this is truly a 'friend' the will be in touch, be responsive, and be considerate of you storing their stuff all this time. You might want to get a 30 minute free consultation with an attorney. Maybe they will write a letter for you if you can't get this resolved.

Robert McGuire ASR
Broker/Consultant
Your Castle Real Estate
Direct - 303-669-1246
http://about.me/robertmcguire33
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
I agree. If the friend is unresponsive, I'd contact an attorney.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Without a signed lease, I don't think there is any law in Colorado that pertains to this. I would give your friend a 30 or 60 day notice in writing and tell them they either pick it up or you will get rid of it.

Nina Kuhl
Cherry Creek Properties LLC
303-913-5858
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012
Ask an attorney. If they are still a friend you should be in touch with them and you could ask them what they intend to do. Good luck!
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Sep 8, 2012