Property Q&A in West Ashley>Question Details

Deborah Young, Both Buyer and Seller in Ravenel, SC

??..If the backyard is not fenced, will the neighborhood allow it to be done..??

Asked by Deborah Young, Ravenel, SC Wed Mar 20, 2013

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/3094050871-734-Ponderosa-Dr-C…

Answers

5
Hi Deborah,

While the neighborhood association is important, it is not the only reason to get a survey. You have to think about encroachments in regard to your neighbors and the City of Charleston.

If found early, encroachments can usually be resolved by having a written and recorded document that will convey throughout the years. In addition, you will get more coverage out of your title insurance policy if a survey is done before closing on a property.

To give you an idea as to what can be found in a survey, here are some examples:
Part or all of your neighbors fence, driveway, etc. is on your property, or vice versa.
Part of your house is on your neighbors property or vice versa.
What you thought was your neighbors driveway is actually all yours or partly yours.
Part of the perceived lot does not actually belong to the owners and thus may not be able to be conveyed.

Not only is it good to have this information before you actually close on a property but it is good to have afterwards if you plan to do any structural additions (fence, add on to the house, build a shed, etc).

It use to be that lenders required a survey to be done on a property before they would fund the loan but that is not the case anymore. Nonetheless, I still highly recommend that anyone buying a property get a survey done whether it is required or not.

In this area surveys for a residential property generally cost $350-$450 (of course, a lot depends on lot size, etc) and can be a lifesaver. Along with a home and termite inspection, spending money on a survey, is some of the best money you can spend when buying a home.

The City of Charleston requires an encroachment permit for fences in a public drainage easement.

The Carolina Fence Company is a good resource for you: 843-821-0486 office

http://carolinafencecompany.com/faqs.html
Hello Deborah,
I don't believe there are any covenants or restrictions for Ponderosa Subdivision. An agent can find these things out for you and if you don't have an agent I would be happy to help you. As Michael said you need to know where the property line is so you stay within the property lines.
Please let me know if I can help you. You may contact me at mmartin@carolinaone.com or 843-556-5800
Millie Martin,
I believe that there are no covenants or restrictions for The Shadows at Ponderosa. Your agent should confirm that for you. It appears that there is an easement behind the home, so that will affect where you can put the fence behind you. Darcy is right, you will need a survey, or at least know where the property irons (markers) are, to make sure that the fence stays within your property lines.
Hello and Good Evening Deborah,

This home will allow a fence. If I can help you with any other questions regarding this property please feel free to reach out to me.

Have a Great Evening!!
If there is a hoa then you have to ask the hoa and get a fence approved.In this situation a fence should be fine. The sellers may have a survey this will help to determine property lines. If they do not a survey costs about 375.