Jim, Home Buyer in West Paterson, NJ

Zone A and B property in Parsippany NJ - Colony Ct

Asked by Jim, West Paterson, NJ Tue Dec 22, 2009

There is a home in Parsippany (Colony CT) that the homeowner has listed on the disclosure as front yard being Zone A, Actual home being Zone B. It states NO current Flood Insurance required by his existing lender. What are your thoughts? Any one familiar with the homes in this area?

Answers

2
Jim,

Just because the existing lender doesn't require it, a new lender may. The owners disclosed the flood zones but did they disclose if water, in fact, enters the house. There's a sump pump (assuming in the basement), does the water seep through the basement walls and/or floor? Have you been to the house with a very large rainstorm and with the snow? If a house gets water, as the snow melts the water can seep in.

I live in Fairfield and my house is in a zone b flood zone (most, if not all, of Fairfield is considered a flood zone). My lender did not require flood insurance and no water enters my house so its really not a problem for us. However if I did get water, I wouldn't have bought the house. We went through that with our first house in Little Falls (constant water in the basement) and that house wasn't located in a flood zone.

Keep in mind too when buying in a flood zone, basic flood insurance doesn't cover the contents in the home. You will need insurance to protect the contents in the home too.

It appears to be a very nice home but if it gets water inside every time it rains....is it really that nice after all? If no water enters the house, then is it really a problem? Do your due diligence before you make a decision.

Gina Chirico, Sales Associate
Prudential New Jersey Properties
973-715-1158 cell
973-992-6363 ext 116
Gina.Chirico@PrudentialNewJersey.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 23, 2009
Hi Jim,

If you want an actual flood map, e-mail me and I'll send it over. Colony Ct backs to a very large flood zone. My flood search says A6. Some lenders may decide that you need flood insurance regardless of whether the current owner's bank required it. You are cutting it close in my opinion and I would personally not want to be that close to such a large flood zone.

-Marc

Marc Paolella
Relocation Director
Member: Worldwide ERC
Member: New Jersey MLS, Garden State MLS, Hudson County MLS
Licensed Realtor NJ
Licensed Appraiser NJ & NY
Century 21 Joe Tekula Realtors
Agent of the Year 2008
Agent of the Year 2009
Owner: Sands Appraisal Service, Inc.
Phone (direct): (973) 584-4235
Search the Garden State MLS: http://www.marcpaolella.com/SearchMLS