Property Q&A in Sonoma>Question Details

Pgg7, Home Buyer in Sebastopol, CA

Wud Rural Residential/Agricultural zoning allow for building a comml kitchen in detached garage/studio?

Asked by Pgg7, Sebastopol, CA Wed Dec 28, 2011

Optional details about your question

This question is about this property:… target="_blank" rel="nofollow">…

Help the community by answering this question:


While the property might allow for a 2nd unit - which could then have a legal kitchen - much depends on the square footage of the garage conversion, whether you will then need to have other "covered" parking for so many cars, etc. Illegal kitchens are a big red flag to the building department, and it is best to visit the county and speak to a permit resource that can answer questions specific to your plans for this particular property. Also, you mention "commercial kitchen", and if this means you are going to be selling wares made out of this kitchen, then there are additional building/health codes you'll need to comply with; all best answered by speaking to someone in person at the county office in Santa Rosa.
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 28, 2011
Hi there,
Here is a link to the Sonoma County PRMD website which details zoning regulations.
This property appears to be zoned Rural Residential (RR). It is also under 2 acres. The best thing for you to do is to review these regulations(they vary for lot sizes under vs. over 2 acres) and then visit or call the planning department to discuss your concerns with a planner. It is difficult to tell from the information you provided what the scope of your kitchen activities would be.

Hope this helps you to get started! There is a link to a short post I did on PRMD below.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Dec 28, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer