Property Q&A in 29576>Question Details

Waterfront, Home Buyer in 29576

Would we own the land on a townhome that the owner had the zoning changed to be ATTACHED without HPR ? No HOA or POA either.

Asked by Waterfront, 29576 Sun May 1, 2011

We are interested in an ATTACHED home (1 wall only) and were told by the realtor that the owner paid to have the HPR removed and therefore we own the land ? There are NO HOA'POAs on this property and is aly 2 unit (townhome) attached by one center wall, is this possible ? Can we do as we wish on the property since there are NO HOA/POA fees ? Of course we wouldn't paint our side pink, however would change the wooden balconies to white vinyl. This home is a 1/2 block to the beach and is beautiful, except it is attached. If by chance a Hurricane took down the (2) attached units, can we rebuild what we want on the land ? What exactly does ATTACHED WITHOUT HPR mean for us if we were to buy it ? Most the realtors are telling us this is a very desirable thing to have and that the owner paid alot of money to have that rezoned ? Any thoughts, suggestions, help ? We'd like to put in an offer, but we are leery of what this means to us as homeowners of this type unit

Help the community by answering this question:


I am an appraiser in the area. You will own the landaround and under this property. The seller should have a plat with the site deminsions if he has recently had the zoning changed to allow these units to be true townhomes. You have every right to do as you will with your yard and dwelling side and it to most, and no HOA fee is a plus. The only downside to this situation may be what your neighbor decides to do with his side. Without HOA's, it is difficult to assure that the owner of the other side will keep up with his property in an exceptible manner. As for rebuilding, if the zoning was recently changed to allow attached units without being classified as an HPR, rebuilding after a storm should be allowed. Check with the local building department first.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Nov 30, 2011
I suggest you contact legal council to protect your interests at this time. Things like that should be in the "Deed" . Depending on how long ago the owner changed it, it should be public record. Contact the closing attorney you plan to use for your purchase on this one, just to protect yourself.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
B.efore you put an offer on this property see something in writing from the town or county this property is in before you do anything. It's public information & should be available to you to see
Dolores M. Rivinius, Realtor,,,,29575 Select Homes & Services , Surfside Beach,S.C. 843-655-5306
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon May 2, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer