Property Q&A in 01748>Question Details

F. Bordick, Home Buyer in Delmar, NY

Why is a radon mitigation system necessary in this house?

Asked by F. Bordick, Delmar, NY Fri Jan 23, 2009

Is the radon mitigation system in need of repair? What is the sewer betterment issue?

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1068781600-44-Teresa-Rd-Hopki…

Answers

5
Not to repeat what's been said but Radon is a gas that results from the decay of radium, most commonly associated with granite ledge. It has long been present in many areas and contributes to one's background radiation exposure. When homes are constructed over granite some of the gas can be trapped or concentrated, requiring venting. I would prefer a home with a venting system knowing that the long-term effects of radon in the area (it won't just be that one house after all) are being mitigated.

Your realtor should have more information about the sources and treatments for Radon. As far as the specific home you looked at, it may have been a preventative measure or one that resulted from some testing.
Was the home built on ledge?
Hello F. - That's a nice looking property; I almost forgot what grass looks like...
I didn't see all the details on the listing- did the listing agent say it needs a radon mitigation system? I assume it has been recently tested? Are the sellers offering to pay for it, or install before a closing?
I've been through it all regarding radon levels and mitigation systems, etc.
The EPA has a SAFE zone, and then a "caution/ marginal" zone, and then also a hazard zone where they strongly recommend a mitigation system being installed. Even their hazard zone can vary from a pretty low number up to a very high and seriously dangerous level. Each house and situation is different.
A few questions, for you to gauge the seriousness of it-
Does anyone in the house smoke? Does anyone have or have they had any cancer?
Are there any infants/ toddlers, or elderly people living in the house?
Do you plan on living/ spending a lot of time in the basement areas (finished family room, etc)?

Those are just some things right from the EPA's site. Hope that helps.
If I can be of any help in your purchase, please let me know. Thanks and good luck,

Ken L.
The radon mitigation system, in any house, is installed when the radon level in the air, is tested and is above the EPA suggested safe level. The system sucks the air from under the house(basement floor) and vents it out the roof before it can enter the house. there is a meter on the system so you can be sure its working.( this is a simple laymens a nswer) see- http://www.epa.gov/radon/pubs/consguid.html for more in depth.
The sewer betterment is a fee a municipality charges when they bring public sewer or water into a n.hood. usually you can pay it outright or what many homeowners do is -they allow you to pay it over say, 20 years by adding it on to your yearly sewer/water bill at 0% or very low interest rate, in this case they are asking you to assume whats left of it.
I hope this is helpful,
The listing agent could best answer your question:

Kathleen Dragin
RE/MAX Executive Realty
77 Main St • Hopkinton, MA 01748
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Direct: 508-435-8277
Web Reference: http://www.cindihagley.com
Cindi Hagley, Real Estate Pro in San Ramon, CA