Property Q&A in Ingleside>Question Details

cutetoo4u, Home Owner in San Francisco, CA

Why did the living square/foot did not change, the top part of the house is 1500sqf the bottom us 700sqf total living is 2200sqf.?

Asked by cutetoo4u, San Francisco, CA Sun Jan 19, 2014

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/San_Francisco/sold/71…

Answers

3
The information you may find on this site or others like them is only as good as the source, and the source is sometimes inaccurate from inception. This question brings me back to a similar situation I was obliged to work on many years ago when the property owner who hired me to list and sell his 3- unit building in Daly City, and he was surprised to discover (through public record information), that the property (APN - "Assessors Parcel Number") still showed a single family dwelling on the site!

The situation didn't cause me much concern as it was abundantly obvious that the property, which several years back had been razed and converted into a 3-plex, WITH PERMITS, had for some reason not been updated in every possible listing. This notwithstanding, the updating of information is important, but, if you have the correct information, all the required paperwork, and permits, etc., it is an administrative concern to be corrected.

In your case, however, it is important for a variety of reason -- less square footage will mean a potential reduction to the fair market value as compared to other properties. On the other hand, if you have this item adjusted now, it could also increase your property taxes, as these are based on the same information.

You'll have to research the county and have them open a case to review the permits, building records, and any other pertinent information to correct this error, (if, in fact, it is).
I see what you mean, now can you see what I mean? I have been the sole owner of this property since it was built. And IT IS a single family dwelling,
Thank you for time.
Flag Mon Jan 20, 2014
I would check your 3R report, and/or the permit history of the property.

Did you recently do some renovations that changed the square footage of the property? If that is the case, it is not uncommon to see tax records take some time to be updated accurately and then that information to be disseminated out. If you are concerned that the size is not accurately reflected in the tax record you can check with the county recorders office to make sure that the square footage is accurate in tax records.

If the tax records do indicate the correct square footage it might just take some time for that record to be accurately reflected across sites such at Trulia.

Hope that helps!

Lisa Cartolano
Alain Pinel Realtors
http://www.ViewOaklandHomes.com
http://www.ViewOaklandHomesBlog.com
Lic 01715440
Hi Maria:
The San Francisco county tax records show your home as 1288 square feet, so that's how the number got on the Trulia site. If you'd like to find out about having that number changed, you should probably contact the SF Assessors office. If this is in regard to selling your home, I don't think you should be concerned about it, many tax records are inaccurate. If you have a measurement from an appraisal or re-fi that you've dont, you can quote that instead.
Flag Mon Jan 20, 2014
No we haven't done a thing to it since we moved in, we are the first owners and only owners, so we know how big it is. that is why I didn't understand where the 1288sqft came from, because I sure didn't typed it in.
Thank you for your prompt reply,
MariaElena
Flag Mon Jan 20, 2014