Property Q&A in Scottsdale>Question Details

Painted Dese…,  in Scottsdale, AZ

What's the cost of listing a rental property on MLS and who is responsible for it? Thanks

Asked by Painted Desert, Scottsdale, AZ Mon Mar 4, 2013

Important note: The cost of listing a rental home or a resale home on the MLS is completely negotiable between the owner and the agent/ broker. There are no fixed rates for listing a home in the MLS.

The owner agrees to pay the broker upon successful lease/ sale of the property. In some cases, a broker can collect a retainer fee upon commencement of the listing. The lease commission amount is either a fix dollar amount, (.i.e. One month's rent) or a percentage of the gross lease amount, (i.e. 12 month lease of $1,000/ month @ a 8% commission rate = $960 payable to the listing brokerage). Keep in mind, most of the time the commission is spit with a cooperating broker.
A licensed Realtor can list a home for you on the MLS. I have extensive recommendations on my Trulia profile that you can see by clicking on my profile photo to the right. I hope to hear from you soon!
The cost for the MLS is mainly the agent's annual dues. To enter a property into the MLS does not have an additional cost besides the labor cost.
The responsible parties would be the agent & his/her broker.
The average rental commission in the Valley is 10%. That fee is paid by the property owner.
Some companies charge additional fees for advertising, etc. You should be looking for the best presence on the internet since that is the most active source of renters.
Painted Desert -

The typical residential commission is 6% for sales and rentals, but this can vary. The commission is typically split 50/50 between the listing agent and the tenant's agent. The owner of the property to be rented is responsible for the commission.

Rob Ryan
West USA Realty
When you select a Realtor to represent your rental property, you should be sure that they will do more that just list the property. A good Realtor will write the lease, order a credit report on the prospective tenant, and handle the walkthrough prior to the tenant moving in. For my investor clients, I handle showings, assist in writing applications and leases, and running credit checks, for which the prospective tenant pays. Some agents charge an "administrative fee," in addition to the commission -- which can range between 6 and 10 percent and is split between the buyer's agent and seller's agent -- which is just a way in which agents augment their income (I do not support the idea of charging such a fee).

HomeSmart is the largest real estate brokerage in Arizona and has offices throughout the Valley. I am Realtor and branch manager for the northeast Valley brach, located at Desert Ridge.

Mead Summer
Branch Manager & Realtor
"Awarded the HomeSmart Diamond Club Award for Top Production"
Dear Painted:

Typically, your Realtor will list the home on the MLS and the owner of the home pays their listing Realtor when the home is leased. If the owner is using a property manager to manage the lease and the repairs the property management company would be the party.

Jeffrey Masich, Realtor, GRI, MBA
It varies based on the structure of the leasing / management agreement. Most companies will lease / manage your property for about 10% of revenues. For just leasing, they'll generally charge 5-6% of the aggregate lease value, of which a tenant's agent will usually get about 3%.

If you want any help leasing properties, I'd be happy to talk to you, it's what I do day in and day out. Check out for more information
Hello Painted Desert!

Every listing agent will charge a different fee, but I would be happy to email you our fee structure, which would include MLS entry, a featured position on our website '' as well as sign, lockbox, etc.

Additionally in our service package we include full application review including credit and background reporting.

I look forward to hearing from you!

Tara Viksne
Limelight Group | eXp Realty
**2013 Real Estate Pro of the Week**