Property Q&A in 32550>Question Details

Al, Home Owner in 32550

What is the cost per square foot to build a house?

Asked by Al, 32550 Thu Apr 5, 2012

I own a lot and I am working with a builder to design and build a new home. How can I expect to get quality materials at a reasonable price.

Answers

9
Please I want to know the cost of the square feet on Miramar,FL
How much does it cost to build a house? There are many variables that impact the bottom line. The only real way to make sure you get quality materials at a reasonable price is to do some construction cost estimating on your own and then compare it to the costs you are being quoted.

The best way to go about this is to take the specs from your houseplan (if you don't have one yet, purchase a prefab home plan that closesly matches your dreamhome elements), and run them through a good piece of cost estimating software. Then you will see what the contractor is getting the materials for and how much markup he's slapping on. You will also be able to calculate approximate labor costs for each element of construction.

there's a good page that walks you through the process at http://contractorcity.com/main/articles/1/how-much-to-build-…

Good luck and congratulations on building your new home! :)
In the current market, you can buy existing homes cheaper than building one
price per square foot in avon,mn area+40acres 20wooded 20open
Al, Everyone is correct previously who suggested you compare builders. Much of the determination on price per sq foot will be determined by the finishes that YOU choose, which is not made clear in your question. Things such as floor coverings, crown moldings, window choices, cabinetry, type and style of roof all are major contributors to price/sq foot.

Since you are not including the price of the lot, you might ask to get a materials list from each of the builders to see where the specific differences are, which will also allow you to be in more control of the choices you make. Just make sure that the builders are comparing apples to apples and look for specifics.

Another way to get an idea of what is reasonable is to look at homes sold recently (not foreclosures or short sales) new construction, make a reasonable deduction for the lot they are sitting on (location) and look at what the price per sq ft is running for already constructed homes.

Just a couple of suggestions,

Myke Triebold, GRI, SFR, ABR, LMC
850-305-6256
MykeSaysSold@aol.com
AL

Lisa makes a great point. When you are bidding the process let them know they have competition. Also, ask for reference and I would do a credit check. There are a lot of small builders that may not have the resources to complete the project. Look at there work that is completed and a few years old to check the quality, look at the job sites of current projects - it will tell you a great deal about their workmanship and company overall.

Thank again

Howard
727-244-3664
I recommend you consult more than one builder. Get estimates from at least 2 and maybe 3 builders and make sure they all know they have competition so they will give you their best price. The cost to build can vary greatly depending on materials used and the lot location and condition. Call me if you want more info 850 5438033
Al

That is a great question. Having spent many years working for builders I can tell you the price will vary based on where you are building and also what you want to build. I see in your question that you said you are having the builder design the home. Keep in mind that each builder will build different and have different specifications for items you can see and also those that you cannot see (inside the walls). There is a whole range of building materials from which to choose from the strength of the concrete in the foundation all the way to the light fixtures in the home. Your best bet is to first come up with a design and set of specifications from which all builders can bid so you are comparing apples to apples. It may pay you to pick an architect or purchase a set of plans and specs before going to the bid process. If I can help in any other way please let me know. My number is 727-244-3664.

Howard