Property Q&A in Wellesley>Question Details

Allen Kenny, Home Buyer in Wellesley, MA

What is the building restriction for adding a garage or car port?

Asked by Allen Kenny, Wellesley, MA Wed Aug 29, 2012

I am looking at purchasing but there is no garage on property. I'd like to eventually add a garage, car port, porte cochere etc.... anyone know what the restriction are?

Answers

6
I just went throught this process and added a garage space. The town is very helpful and will give you guidance. Depending on where you live in Wellesely and the zone will dictate what you will be able to do. Go talk with the building dept in the lower level and they can definitely help you.

If you have any other questions and need some help with resources let me know ie: architect, instrument survey company, etc. Chris
It can be done but there will be distance from lot line requirements. If you give us the address we may be able to help you better.

Territory.com
Massachusetts Leading Buyer Brokerage
Web Reference: http://territory.com
How big a structure, with living space, with plumbing, how big is your lot, what is the lot coverage, etc. I would ask an engineer who knows Wellesley.

(Please note: when you choose an answer as a Best Answer, or at least give a thumbs up, it helps those who answer questions here.)
Hi Allen, Adding a garage or a second garage bay in Wellesley can be an issue depending on your distance from the lot line. The new building must be AT LEAST 20' from the side lot line. On a corner lot, or in 40K zone a 30' side lot set back will kick in. The Zoning Board does not look kindly at exceptions, or variances for garages which will encroach on the side or rear yard setbacks. They will make rare exceptions for a handicap issue. If there is no garage and no place to put one within the side yard and rear yard (10-15' depending on zone) set back it is what it is.

You can look up your zone and the setback regs on the town website, or just give me a call for expert help with your search! I have sold 100's of homes here.

The good news is that many, many Wellesley home owners in live with no, or one-car garages and are very happy. We love the neighborliness of clearing snow off the car while waving to our neighbors :)
Hi Allen,
there is no link to a property here but regardless you should definitely check with the building department to make sure you can build your garage before you purchase. Another option, as you probably already know, is to look for a property that has all your " must have-s" but always check with the town' building dep. if you are planning to add structure to the existing property. Also, get you buyers' agent to help you with this, hiring one, if you do not have one, is of no cost to you. Good luck.
Web Reference: http://www.wenrealty.com
As to garages or any structure you have to check with the building department. You will want to find out the setbacks required to see if you can legally do it. if you can't add an attached structure, you may want to see if you have the proper set backs to add a detached garage. Also ask the building inspector if the square footage you plan on adding meets the FAR for the area as well.

Eventually you will need, a certified survey done, an architect to provide building plans and a contractor to over see it.