Debbie Nieman, Real Estate Pro in Phoenix, AZ

What happened to common courtesy of returning phone calls? What do you consider to be an acceptable time period for an agent to call you back?

Asked by Debbie Nieman, Phoenix, AZ Tue Aug 28, 2012

Answers

8
Hi Debbie,
I can tell you that realtor to phone is as wand is to Harry Potter, light saber is to Luke Skywalker or nose wiggle is to Bewitched Samantha Stevens. It makes everything happen. The agent should be given a reasonable time to answer, which is usually a couple of hours. If at all possible, try to text the agent your concern. We all view our phones so if no response, then move on to an agent who will respect your time and needs. I have been priviledged enough to work with Diane Meyer as she was my mentor. She taught me to treat your phone like it is your wallet. Don't leave anywhere without it.
Please let me know if your agent doesn't come around and you still have questions. We are happy to answer our phones.
Tina Sanchez
ProSmart Realty
480-620-2374
tinasellsazhomes@gmail.com
http://www.prosmartrealty.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Aug 28, 2012
I have often wondered that myself, Debbie. I think an acceptable time period would be 24 hours. The same goes for answering emails, which so frequently get ignored. I especially have issues with Realtors ignoring offers that come in for their listings and they don't even have the courtesy to respond. Professional courtesy definitely seems to have fallen by the wayside.

Deirdre Lehner, Team Leader, SFR
Century 21 Arizona Foothills
Website: DeirdreLehner.Listingbook.com
(480) 707-9510
Try texting the agent. I find that many times I will not get a phone call back either. But if I text I get a response in minutes.
Hahaa....sorry Debbie, I didn't realize you were an agent. I have found it most interesting that realtors don't answer or return calls. I often wonder if I sounded like Ed McMahon and left a message saying that I was holding a check with their name for thousands of dollars if I wouldn't get a call back. Good luck with the agent.
All of these answers are true for me as well. I try to answer my phone if at all possible. If I can't because I'm showing houses or in a class or negotiating a contract on a client's behalf, I try to return the call as soon as possible. But let's all remember that life happens, even to realtors. Sometimes we forget, sometimes techonology lets us down and we don't get the message, or we're in an area that has spotty reception (my fate the last two weeks as I was on the family farm), or we're ill, or some other perfectly valid event has intervened. Please give the person a second chance if possible and call again if you haven't received a call within a few hours on a business day. (Evening calls are acceptable to most of us as well and may be the easiest time to reach us.) Then, if you don't hear from the realtor, find someone else, a professional realtor, one who will provide the service you deserve and stay in communication with you at the beginning, middle, and end of the process.
Right on Rocky. Within hours is my answer or a text back saying you will call as soon as you are
able. The numbers you don't recognize that pop up on your phone should be the ones you sure better answer! Real estate is a way of life for me, not a job. This isn't your typical profession so I don't act like it is! With a home being one of the biggest, if not THE biggest purchase of many people's lives, I consider it a privilege to serve them and don't mind some of the irregularly of it!
I couldn't agree more! I always call back the same day and it is one of my biggest pet peeves when agents don't anwer!!
Flag Tue Oct 9, 2012
There are only 3 reasons I don't answer my phone:
1) On the other line.
2) After 7pm.
3) Its a Sunday.

Other than that, I always answer my phone, if 1-3 are in play, I"ll call you back either:
1) After I hang up my current call.
2) Tomorrow morning by 9am
3) first thing Monday morning.

Chris Dunham
The Real Estate Guy
602-321-6188
RLS8GUY@yahoo.com
First of all, I try to answer my phone each and every time someone calls. However, if I miss a call then I try to return it as soon as possible. Most of the time I return the call the same day. I think that at the very least it should not take more than 24 hours. As an agent it is very important to check your phone regularly. This is the biggest complaint that people make about realtors and I think it is just plain lazy. If you don't want to answer your phone and return calls as an agent then you are in the wrong business.