Property Q&A in Sacramento>Question Details

Mac_lll, Home Buyer in Sacramento, CA

What does this mean, OFF MARKET... we just started looking at this house Friday... is it sold?

Asked by Mac_lll, Sacramento, CA Sun May 22, 2011

We sent message thru the Trulia site to the listing agent and have heard nothing back. What do we do now?

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/California/Sacramento/sold/20066…

Answers

12
Always a good idea to have a Buyers Agent contact the listing agent on any properties you have an interest in that come up with an OFF MARKET, TEMP OFF MARKET, WITHDRAWN/CANCELED, EXPIRED, to find out what the reason is. I just submitted an offer on a property that showed as EXPIRED. I contacted the listing agnet for my buyers who informed me it was a technical error and she has an addendum in hand granting her additional time to market the property. Without that call I would have missed the best fit home for these buyers so make sure your buyers agent (contact one if you have not already or ask for a call back or check out our webstie) is earning their commissions by doing their homework. They may not cost YOU as the buyer out of pocket but that does not mean they are working for free! :)
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon May 23, 2011
Eddie Martini is right, I was wrong. He found a needle in a haystack of expired listings.

There are definitely exceptions in the bundle of unlisted, expired, off market properties.

There are also some listed properties that are not really for sale, but listed anyway. For example many short sales are not really for sale because the owner is not really motivated to follow through with their lenders demands.

I'd like to modify my advice after reading Eddies ( thumbs up!) post..

Most unlisted properties aren't for sale. Most listed properties are for sale. Your odds are better with listed properties. But it is okay to try for the longshot too. Sometimes they win the Kentucky Derby.
Jim Walker, Real Estate Pro in Carmichael, CA
Don't waste your time on "off market", "shadow inventory", "secret, exclusive, pocket listings" etcetera.

There are 69 active listings in the 95815 zip code alone, Along with another 26 active short sales if you like being tortured. That means in just that one zip code there are about 95 homes available to buy right now. Probably another ten listings this week, and another ten next week. And hundreds more in the neighboring zip codes.

Looking at "off market" "listings" ( a self cancelling phrase: if it is "off market" then it is NOT listed for sale! ) is a silly exercise.
Mac,

You've gotten the information on this property from the others, but more importantly Trulia is not the place to get the most accurate, up-to-date information on active listings - your local MLS is. Most MLS's nowadays have public access so you can search there for active listings, or you can contact a local realtor to help you. However, do not choose lightly - there is a lot of money at stake and the agent/broker you choose can make a huge difference in how much you pay and/or how many problems the property you buy has...
Mac
Call or have your agent call the listing agent directly, sometimes the messages from Trulia get blocked by the spam filters.

There could be many reasons why the property was withdrawn, it looks like it has had a couple offers in the past 350 days and was pending at one time, only the listing agent can tell you for sure.
Off Market just means the home is unavailable or withdrawn due to other circumstances. If you can't get a hold of an agent call me and I can help you find another home you may like.
Web Reference: http://www.sbeck@golyon.com
For some reason, the seller has chosen to take the property off of the market. It could be a matter of additional work that they want to do and then it will go back on or the job transfer didn't take place and so they are staying put. One thing it isn't is sold. You might ask your Realtor to contact the listing agent to find out if it is a temporary or permanent situation. Sometimes, even though it is off the market, you can still write an offer. It would be worth the phone call if you were going to write an offer.
Web Reference: http://PaulaSwayne.com
This home was withdrawn, meaning the agent and seller agreed to take it off the market. It likely means the short sale was not successful and the home was likely foreclosed on. It will probably be back on the market in the next couple of weeks.

Nick Seevers
DRE #01862254
(916) 715-8417
nick@househuntersacramento.com
Hi Mac,

The offer to sell this home has been withdrawn, it was on the market for 350 days so there is a chance the Listing Agents contract to sell the home ran out of time. When I looked at the listing I did not see the Listing Agents contact info. If you would like I can give them a call for you on monday to ask any specific questions you may have, just shoot me a email or give me a call to let me know exactly what to ask.

Belinda
Mac_III--
Possible that the home was foreclosed on, though I see no record of that--it may not have been updated on the Tax records that I can see. It could come back on the market as an REO property.

Frankly, there are sooooo many homes in that area for under 100K, I am positive you can find another one or 20 to consider.

Kylee
Web Reference: http://www.kyleeonline.com
Off market means it's not available right now. It doesn't mean it won't come back on market so the agent may still return your call....later.

i have a listing that I just took off market. Through inspections we found some things that need to be investigated further and until we know what the problem is, we won't know how to fix it, nor what to disclose. So for now, I'm not answering the calls...because the ultimate questions will be- what's wrong? when will we be able to see it?...and the questions go on.

I'm not involved with the property in question, but this might give you some insight. The house may just not be in a condition to be available to the market at this time. let them know of your interest and they will call you.
Web Reference: http://www.suearcher.com
Hello Mac_III,
This home is currently off the market- It was listed as a short sale and has been withdrawn.
It was on the market for 350 days.
Good luck in your home search.

Mark W.