Property Q&A in Deadwood>Question Details

Bj.johnson20…, Home Buyer in Deadwood, SD

What does it mean that this cabin is on forest service lease? Does that mean the land the cabin is on is leased from the forest service?

Asked by Bj.johnson2010, Deadwood, SD Mon Aug 20, 2012

This question is about this property:…

Help the community by answering this question:


The cabin is considered "personal property" and located on National Forest Service land. The cabin owner has a formal lease that costs about $1,000 per year.
These leases have been around since the 1940's, and are renewable every 20 years. Some people are leary of a lease, thinking that the government "could change it's mind and not renew", but that is not likely at all. There are thousands of property leases like this - an incredible opportunity to have a piece of nature.
Bryan Teachout
Broker Associate
The Real Estate Group
550 N 5th Street
Rapid City SD 57701
C / 605-390-7058
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Aug 20, 2012
Unfortunately, realtor Bryan is not correct: Legally speaking, it is NOT a lease. It is rather a Special Use Permit to maintain a cabin on government land. The Special Permit has legally less rights than a lease. Also, the Forest Service can cancel the permit anytime - with a 10 years notice.
Flag Mon Aug 18, 2014
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer