Property Q&A in 14610>Question Details

Scott, Home Owner in 14610

What counts as square footage in Rochester, NY. It does seem that the city includes the attic as square footage which doesn't seem right.

Asked by Scott, 14610 Tue Jan 3, 2012

Answers

4
Hi Scott,
Square footage refers to legal living area. In the city of Rochester, if an attic is finished living area, there must be a fire escape for egress. If there is no fire escape, the area would be unsafe to use as a living area. Sometimes people include finished basements in the square footage; however, if there is no means of egress, it is not legal living space. Also, if the basement is more than 1/4 underground, it is not generally included in the square footage. If you would like more information about this, I would recommend talking with the City of Rochester Assessor. The Assessor is VERY concerned about property square footage and legal living space!

I should mention that some realtors include space which is not legal living area. The tax records for properties are public documents which can help you verify actual square footage.

Good luck and I hope this was of some help.
Diane
The square footage generally represents the living area in the property. Attics are generally not part of this measurement.
Scott,
Most of the properties I have researched whether the city or other communities show the square footage of the first and second floor and the third floor if finished in parentheses.
If you need examples feel free to contact me.
Ray Camp
There are several agents that include basement or attic sq. ft. from a MARKETING standpoint to make their listing look bigger than the competition and justify the price they have put on it. They justify the sq. ft. number by indicating "walk-out" or "finished space" but do not disclose it in the public comments. Unfortunately, if a buyer has not hired, at the seller’s expense, a REALTOR, you won't know what is and what is not included in sq. ft. until you take the time (possibly wasting time) to go visit a house that isn't as big as what you need. Plus, there are issues with code that only the town/city code enforcement office can verify.

The worst thing about an agent doing this is when it comes time to APPRAISE the house. Although the agent and the seller thinks that the finished extra space increases the marketability, an appraiser may not give it any, or as much VALUE to the price that ultimately causes the house to not appraise after you put an offer in and therefore WON'T close. (This means you're not moving.)

So the best thing to do is avoid the issue by signing the REQUIRED state forms to hire a REALTOR to represent your needs. If you are browsing the web and find yourself wasting time looking at houses that don't fit what you are looking for, I recommend giving me a call: 585-414-0855 or visit my website: http://www.MyRochesterAgent.com

Tod A. Myers
Licensed New York Real Estate Agent
HUNT/ERA Real Estate
585-414-0855
http://www.MyRochesterAgent.com

Try the FIRST and BEST iPhone/iPad app for the Rochester NY MLS

Our clients tell our story the best:
"Tod was an incredible REALTOR to work with. Tod was very knowledgeable and always willing to answer any questions we had. It took several showings of different houses before we finally decided on our first home. We could not be more pleased with the home buying experience and Tod as our REALTOR. We would strongly recommend him to our friends and family in the future." Adam & Michelle Mizzi – Webster

“We are very fortunate to have met REALTOR Tod Myers. He’s not just a great REALTOR but he is a great person. Thank you Tod for your hard work and dedication.”
Santi Phommanirat & Sue Phommanirat – Rochester

“It was a pleasure working with REALTOR Tod Myers. He was invaluable helping us prepare Dad's house for sale in Rochester as part of our closure process. The results speak for themselves. The house is sold and we are able to move on. Our thanks to Tod.”
McLean Family – Gates