Property Q&A in Temecula>Question Details

Andrea, Home Buyer in Temecula, CA

What are the tax rates?

Asked by Andrea, Temecula, CA Wed May 16, 2012

I was told there are several property tax rates in Temecula, CA. What taxes apply to what communities?

Answers

7
Hi Andrea,

All the Agents before me have done an exceptional job of answering your question and are absolutely correct. I would only add that you are fairly safe in assuming that any home built in Temecula before 2000 will not have special assessments and therefore will have a straight tax rate close to 1%, as stated before. As Steve mentioned, Paloma del Sol and Vintage Hills are older communities, as are Chardonnay Hills and Meadowview. Don't confuse Paloma del Sol and Paseo del Sol - they are different communities and different total tax rates as Paseo del Sol is a newer community. Crowne Hill, Wolf Creek, Temecula Creek, and Morgan Hill are all newer areas with Mello Roos and other special assessments to consider in your annual home expense. It sounds like you are aware of these differences but need to know specifics. A general answer to your question can be inaccurate. The best way to determine taxes for homes you're interested in is to choose a Realtor to work with. He or she can and should provide you with specifics on tax rates, HOA fees, and any other expenses which would impact your decision on which home to buy. I hope that helps!

Christina Jordan
Exit Twin Advantage Realty
(951) 587-5076
Hello Andrea,
The taxes vary, the base rate is approx. 1.03% and generally the newer the home, the higher it will be. These are called special assessments and Mello-Roos, they could go up over 2%, but a good Real Estate Agent will make you aware of the different areas and what the tax rates are. I always give my buyers a heads-up of the different areas and there tax rates. The most accurate information is on tax bill itself and it will list all of the assessments that are currently collected on that individual property. Please feel free to call me and I would be happy to answer any questions you might have or assist you in purchasing your new home.

Eric Erickson
(951) 764-4318
Realtor/Temecula
Web Reference: http://www.buywitheric.com
Andrea, the responses before me are correct. There is a wide variance in property tax "rates" in Temecula.
While the base rates are close to each other it's the special assessments or Mello Roos that have the most impact on your effective tax rate.
A strategy we use with our clients is to analyze each property individually and calculate your taxes for what they will be not what they are.
Hi Andrea,

As a good rule of thumb, the base tax rate in Temecula is 1.1%. Each community carries different assessments on top of that but, not all do. The total tax can range from 1.1% to over 2%. Newer communities like Morgan Hill and Crowne Hill will typically be on the higher side while older communities like Paloma Del Sol and Vintage Hills will be closer to the 1.1% mark.

Hope this helps!

Steve T. Rogers
Realtor / Real Estate Consultant
HomeSmart Real Estate, Temecula
(951) 491-4837
Hi Andrea,
The taxes vary from community to community and even house to house - Rule of thumb is the newer the area the higher the taxes. An experienced agent in Temecula will be able to give you a general idea about each area but I always pull the tax bills on any property my client is interested in to get the exact figures - FYI: There are two parts to every tax bill - The base tax which is always at or around 1% (which is 1% of the purchase price) and then there is the second part of the tax bill which is special assessments/mello-roos - these can range from $0 for older areas 70's,80's early 90's up to 3300 for brand new areas such as Wolf Creek. Sometimes people like to say taxes are 1.5%, 2%, 1.7% etc.... personally...I feel you get the most accurate information by looking at the tax bill.
HI Andrea,

The tax rate for Riverside County is just over 1%, anything above this is special assessments and Mello Roos. Definitely be aware of tax rates in different neighborhoods. They can range from 1.1% to over 2% just in Temecula. If have questions or need help locating a certain neighborhood, please feel free to call or email.

James Brennan
Owner
Pacific Coast Realty Group
951.695.9555
Hi andrea, there is only 1 tax base @ 1.03197% it's the special assesments that change them in different areas, call me and I will explain just how I find those, I always do a tax page for my buyers so there are no surprises, janie