Property Q&A in Buffalo>Question Details

Chiseen, Home Owner in Buffalo, NY

What are the liabilities when defaulting on property tax?

Asked by Chiseen, Buffalo, NY Wed Nov 9, 2011

Besides losing the property, what are the consequences of defaulting on property tax in NY? Are there any personal liabilities?

Answers

3
Thank you very much for the helpful advice. The difficulty I'm having is that I am not financially able to maintain the house and to pay the taxes. A payment would definitely help and I will try that.

I don't think I can sell this house in the condition it is in, and I can't seem to give it away to any charity I've contacted.
You need to consult an attorney or Legal aid. After the beginning of the 3rd year in Erie County, they can start foreclosure proceedings as I understand.
Your taxes can remain unpaid for a maximum of five years following their tax default, at which time your property becomes subject to the power of sale. This means that your property will be sold at a public auction or acquired by a public agency if you do not pay the taxes before the date on which the property is offered for sale or acquisition. This will also affect your credit & if you still owe taxes after loosing your property the IRS can still come after you for it by garnishing your wages or seizing your bank account. Your best alternative would be to sell the property or try to negotiate a payment plan with them.