Property Q&A in San Rafael>Question Details

osburn_aip, Home Buyer in Mill Valley, CA

What are the average building costs per quare foot for new construction in San Rafael, CA/?

Asked by osburn_aip, Mill Valley, CA Sat Jun 29, 2013

It would be better to contact a contractor and get an idea from them.
I agree with Lance. If you are building a home on an empty lot there are many costs involved: Perk tests, bringing streets/driveway access to the home to be built, utilities such as water or electricity, sewer, etc. Some lots have those in place already. Then the plans and permits and design reviews may take some time and of course money. The actual cost to build is usually about $300-400 per square foot as far as what i've heard for just construction of a building on a lot or a room addition or expanding an existing house. It depends if the builder is also local or from out of state and if he has a crew or is a one-man operation. Back in l986 i remember hearing that it was $100 per sq ft. Since then there are new codes and more stringent building requirements which make the cost of building higher.
I don't really think using averages is very useful because there is a huge range depending on site work required, one-story vs multiple story, ease of getting materials to the site, and caliber of finishes and materials.

There will also be a wide variance on bid prices from different contractors. That said, unless you are going crazy cheap or crazy high end I would say $300- $400 per sq ft.