Property Q&A in Park County>Question Details

Joel.potato, Home Buyer in Seattle, WA

What are my legal rights and responsibilities concerning water front property in the state of Montana?

Asked by Joel.potato, Seattle, WA Wed Aug 15, 2012

My family owns land along the Yellowstone River. From what I can understand the public has access to the area below the median high water mark. But how much access? Can comercial boats stop and have lunch? Overnight camping? If someone trips on a rock and gets hurt is it my liability? Hunters? Fisherman? Do no trespassing signs help at all?

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Joel,

You are correct in your statement regarding the mean high water mark. The public has full access below this. That does mean that guided fishing trips may stop and have lunch there, and camp there so long as they stay below that level. As for the liability question, I'm not sure of the answer to that. Hopefully that begins to help, but I'd suggest talking to an attorney about precisely what your rights are. Have a good evening!

Mark Meissner
Sales Associate
ERA Landmark
0 votes Thank Flag Link Wed Aug 15, 2012
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer