Tamra, Home Owner in Laguna Niguel, CA

We have renters who moved in across the street and erected a MONSTER play structure. Are there rules re: distance from home and height? Thanks!

Asked by Tamra, Laguna Niguel, CA Sun Apr 17, 2011

Want to know if they needed a permit prior to building and if so, who would I go to to make sure it was properly pulled. The item is a REAL eyesore and their play structure is as high as their house and MAYBE has 5' clearance from the property line and the house itself. Thank you for any insight into the situation.

Help the community by answering this question:


Go to your City Hall's website or better yet go to your City Hall, you want to either speak to someone directly or write a formal complain to the CODE ENFORCEMENT department.

It would be better if you could get as many signatures as you can from other homeowners around you, the more public outcry the better for this problem & the better to get their attention.

The problem with the Code Enforcement dept, at least for Orange 'county', is they have a real problem getting off their BUTTS to actually Enforce the Code.

I deal with issues like this from time to time in my neighborhood, which is an unincorporated "island" of Orange County. When we have an eyesore issue, like with some people who think it's cool to have 2 large shipping containers on their property for 6mos, we have to get OC Code Enforcement involved & have to keep pressuring them to finally take action with fines to the property owner.

562-430-3053 cell
Realtor Since 1996
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
Good luck with the city. Please post the solution. We'd all like to know how they solve the problem.
Web Reference: http://www.YourOCHome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 19, 2011
Thank you everyone for the input. Greatly appreciated. Have an appointment with the city on Friday.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Apr 19, 2011
Best bet is to contact your Home Owners Association.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Apr 18, 2011
There is only 2 ways to find out and that is the HOA-- Home Owner Association and the city for their regulations.. good luck.. Any other questions I can help you with.. Ingrid Ski Realtor
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
Your best bet is to go to the Building and Safety Department of City Hall. They deal with permits for room additions, patio covers, pools, etc. They will be able to tell you what the regulations are regarding proximity to buildings. There is usually a regulation about how close a structure can be to property lines as well.
Web Reference: http://www.YourOCHome.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
It all depends where you live and what the association rules are. What Community do you live in? The City usually does not get involved unless you log a complaint. Then they will check the guidlines and consider your complaint.
Monika Scott, Remax 949-363-9848
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
We do not have a homeowners association, otherwise that would have stopped the building the day they started. We are in the Pace Setter neighborhood above the Niguel Country Club (Benecia Avenue), so we only have the city to rely on. But thanks for the answer.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
Check with your Homeowners Association CC&R's.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Apr 17, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2015 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer