Property Q&A in Queens>Question Details

Vickie, Home Owner in Queens, NY

There was a second floor added to my house with out permits in NY. Can I still sell my house or pay for permits now?

Asked by Vickie, Queens, NY Sun Feb 13, 2011

Help the community by answering this question:


Hi Vickie
I'm assuming that you are saying that you or your family added the second floor without permits!
You will not be able to sell the home without getting a certificate of occupancy for the second floor. This will require the same process as if you were just getting started. You need to apply for permits and you need to get inspections for plumbing, electrical and from the building department. The inspections are needed to determine if the work was done according to building codes. The inspections can get a little tricky since the inspectors need to see the work done inside the walls. If there are no telltale signs of illegal work then you might be OK.
What was done on the second floor? If you built an apartment you will also have to check the zoning for your location. The zoning and the type of home must match. You cannot build a 2 family home in an area zoned for single family homes.
You need to start with either an architect or a general contractor that will draw up plans for the work done and to apply for the permits. They can also advise you of any problems they see at the moment. Good luck.
Allen Bauman
Century21 Yve R.E.
Licensed R.E. Agent
NYS Certified Residential Appraiser
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
I would recommend that you get the permit now before selling the house. This will alleviate problem with the potential buyer think that something illegal was done. You want prospects for your home confident going in that your are honest and with integrity. In addition, if anything was done incorrectly or not up to code, that can be fixed prior to getting the marketed.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Tue Feb 15, 2011
Homes without the right permits is going to be hard to sell.
Request For A Free Home Evaluation Today.
Please DON'T HESITATE ... CALL US TODAY if you have any questions!
Web Reference:
0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 14, 2011
Most of the banks will not approve a loan on a house with such an extension. Remember, the first step on a project like that is to get permits. There is a chance for You not to get approved. Which means You might have to break a few walls. There are a few private lenders that might approve a loan for a house like yours.
The last solution is to get a cash buyer ( if the price is right)

Walter Arguelles
Century 21 Best Inc.

0 votes Thank Flag Link Mon Feb 14, 2011
If your potential buyer is utilizing a mortgage, chances are the lender will not lend--therefore consider rectifying the permit issue beforehand--you may wish to hire an expeditor for faster results....…
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Feb 13, 2011
Search Advice
Ask our community a question
Email me when…

Learn more

Copyright © 2016 Trulia, Inc. All rights reserved.   |  
Have a question? Visit our Help Center to find the answer