Property Q&A in Shelton>Question Details

Rose, Both Buyer and Seller in Fairfield County, CT

The house has a very steep driveway down to the road. What can I do to keep the ice off so my car does not slide? Rose

Asked by Rose, Fairfield County, CT Mon Jan 4, 2010

--
This question is about this property: http://www.trulia.com/property/1076381272-363-Waverly-Rd-She…

Answers

6
If you keep it clear, you shouln't have an ice problem. 4 wheel drive won't help you to get down a hill, all vehicles are 4 wheel braking, but it would help you to get up in a fresh snow.
If you are bordering a reservoir, using salt might be prohibited, check with the town. On the slipery days, a light sanding should work.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
Four wheel drive helps us only when there is snow at the bottom of the driveway, if it is icing have to be careful. You could ask your realtor or the sellers who the contractors are who clear the drive and call them to address your concerns. Also if it is a shared driveway, why not ask the bordering neighbors if they have problems with the driveway in the snowy weather. If I can answer any more for you, please feel free to call me. 860-202-6145. Good luck.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Tue Jan 5, 2010
If the drive is not north facing the ice should melt when the sun hits it, we have a steep drive. We also use salt and have a hoe we use as an ice chipper.
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 4, 2010
Rose,
You could pray....
I have a listing with a steep driveway..my sellers response to any concerns..I will pay for the plowing for one year..my plow guy is reliable & will get the driveway in safe shape.
Hire a good snow removal company.
Call me if you need some help.
Hannelore 203-653-6619
visit my website at http://hannelore.raveis.com/
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Jan 4, 2010
Thanks Dawn~I will ask my realtor to find out the company that plows and ask them some questions. I did see the pavement on the driveway was beat up~meaning it was not smooth in certain areas~ I could see it cracking and the gravel was breaking up, so maybe the rock-salt is destroying it. Thanks again, Rose
Thank you for your helpful advice. Do you suggest I get a four wheel drive to go down the hill? I am not sure if it is facing north. The property is 363 Waverly Road in Huntington, Connecticut. There are 3 other houses that share the same driveway and they all pay around $20.00 to plow each time it snow. I wonder if the plow also puts salt on the driveway to prevent the ice from forming? This house is on the top of the hill. the reservoir is behind it. Thank you, Rose