Property Q&A in 30318>Question Details

Stephanie, Home Buyer in 30307

Tax Lien from previous owner?!!

Asked by Stephanie, 30307 Sun Oct 11, 2009

We purchased our home in Fulton county, Georgia in November of 2008. We've recieved a tax bill from the county for a waste bill thats been past due since 2007. I called and went to the tax office who said I should contact our closing attorney's office. I've identified the amount on the settlement statement and the attorney's office told me it shows as paid and that they would contact the tax office.Its still showing as unpaid online and by phone so I've been leaving messages asking her to email or send me a copy of the check and haven't heard back in weeks. The tax office says my credit won't be affected but my property will. What does that mean??? Am I responsible for paying it?

Thanks for your feedback.

Answers

3
Stephanie,

If it was on the HUD, you are probably good. I hope you bought an owner's title insurance policy. If you do not receive what you need from the attorney, contact the title company. They will take care of the attorney and the bill. That is what title insurance is about.

Sally W. Hamby
The Sally Team
Georgia-Atlanta
404 644 7696
1 vote Thank Flag Link Mon Oct 12, 2009
Congratulations on the home purchase!

If you've found the item and it's been paid per the closing statement that's good. There are three likely scenarios:

1) The closing attorney didn't send it

2) It was sent but not received or cashed

3) Fulton County cashed it, but didn't record it

You've asked for a copy of the cancelled check and that's exactly what you should do. The attorney should be able to get there for you. You may have to use some leverage. Ask you real estate agent to get involved. Agents usually have good working relationships with the closing attorneys. If that attorney is part of a bigger firm, call the firms main number and ask to speak to someone about the issue you are having.

What the county means when it says your property will be affected, they mean a lien could be placed on it for the unpaid amount. Which means, unless you take care of the issue, you will eventually have to pay for that solid waste bill.

Ben Hester
Keller Williams Realty Intown Atlanta
bensellsatlanta@gmail.com
1 vote Thank Flag Link Sun Oct 11, 2009
Funny enough the attorney's office faxed me a copy today and said they contacted the county also. It seems its #3, Fulton County cashed it and didn't record it. Exasperating or what?! Thanks so much for your answers now hopefully it will be rectified in a timely manner.