Tim Rose, Both Buyer and Seller in White City, Tulsa, OK

Square feet question.

Asked by Tim Rose, White City, Tulsa, OK Mon Jul 30, 2012

My laundry room and dining room do not have heat and air vents. Can I count these rooms as total square feet?

Answers

4
Mr. Rose,

Some self asked questions to help answer your Question:

1. Does the county assessor count these rooms in the square footage?
2. Does your appraisal, from when you purchased your home include these rooms as "livable sqft?"
3. Are these rooms built w/ the same quality as the rest of the home, i.e. footer, stem wall and slab or are they just on a slab?
4. If you were buying your home today, would you, as a purchaser agree w/ the seller if they (the seller) were telling you, the buyer, that these are included in the livable sqft?

The appraisal reflection from when you bought your home and the county records typically answer this type of question very quickly.

Hope this helps,

Josh Barnett, Realtor
Web Reference: http://www.1ListingFee.com
Measure right is an excellent service, and I do recommend them often to sellers. However many sellers do not or are not in the position to hire this service. Again disclose this to any and all buyers to reduce any liability. As Realtors we cannot measure for you, but a buyer can. Whichever way you choose to proceed, wishing you the best outcome.
Square footage measurements can be subjective, and honest errors could expose you to legal liability. For any property I list, we always use a professional measurement service. Additionally, a square footage disclaimer form is part of our standard contract paperwork. If your property is in the OKC metro, I suggest MeasureRight for the most accurate measurement of your home before sale: http://realtime1.net/
Yes Tim since it sounds as though it is "living space", however I would recommend dislosing this to any and all future buyers. If the laundry area is in the garage you would not be able to include it.

I hope this helps with your question.

Julie Gray Thrash
Realtor Associate
OK City Properties, Inc.