Property Q&A in Portland>Question Details

Pdxer09, Home Buyer in Portland, OR

So I bought this nice condo studio and it is in Portland OR. I like it and all...My HOA is about fee is not too bad,

Asked by Pdxer09, Portland, OR Mon Jan 4, 2010

But almost 40 % of my HOA is a pass thru payment to comcast cable TV service. But I don't even have a TV. Do you think it is legal to for the HOA organization to charge me for a service I am not using because they say they have a contract with comcast? In a free country like ours why would anyone be forced to buy something? What should I do to stop giving my money away to a huge corporation like Comcast (via a pass thru cost within my HOA fee)? Should I just not include that payment...It does not seem fair. And I dont want to get a TV, let allow buy cable.

Answers

3
Get involved and see what other people that live there feel about this. Some times they get a discount on the whole building and most HOA's this is something that is part of the bill. When you bought it should have been disclosed what was covered in your HOA bill. There might be a way to not be connected to the cable at the main terminal. Get involved and see what comes out of it. Good luck to you.

Tom Inglesby, Broker
RE/MAX Equity Group inc
503-319-9035
Unfortunately, this is the type of thing that should've been caught during your due diligence process. Did you work with a buyer's agent? If so, that agent should have helped you review the HOA rules and regulations before you consummated the purchase of the property. However, if your agent did provide the HOA information and you didn't review it, then that's another story.

HOA fees can be dicey and sometimes feel "unfair" to certain parties. For example, I used to live in an subdivision with a boat dock area. Not every home owner, though, owned a boat, but every home owner had to contribute to the boat dock's upkeep and maintenance? Why? Well, first off each and every home owner had a RIGHT to use the boat dock, some just chose not to. Also, the boat dock represented a liability. If it became in disrepair and somebody got hurt, then the entire HOA could be liable.

Many HOAs have pools or parking slips included, but not every member of the HOA swims or has a car. The main thing is that this should've been caught before it became a problem.

Having said that, the BEST thing you can do is participate in your HOA meetings and talk to the officers. Maybe there's an equitable solution. Do NOT simply stop paying your fees as you are contractually obligated to pay. Unpaid HOA fees can become a lien on your property and will have to be paid before your property can be sold.

Again, talk to the HOA officers and see if something can be worked out.
Take part in your HOA meetings, your vote will count. They are typically democratic in nature.