Property Q&A in 90066>Question Details

therazcreati…, Other/Just Looking in Los Angeles, CA

Real Estate: Understanding Land Descriptions?

Asked by therazcreation, Los Angeles, CA Wed Dec 4, 2013

I live in the city of Los Angeles. So, you must understand California law :)

Okay, here goes. I under the meaning of metes and bounds. Like metes uses inches, feet, yards, rods and miles. Bounds refers to the use of boundaries such as rivers, roads, fences, creeks and iron pipes. Now what I do not understand is the statement shown below in " ". I need to have this explained to me in better English :) Will this by on the state exam for a real license license?

" Angles are a deflection from this north-south line. Deflections are to the east or west of the north-south line.

There are 360 degrees in a circle and 180 degrees in a half circle. Each degree is divided into 60 minutes and each minute is divided into 60 seconds."

Answers

2
This allows you to follow the direction of a property line. It is like a compass. From a starting point you can describe a property and come back to that same exact point to create closure. A Title report will give you the Metes and Bounds in writing.. The legal description takes precedence. Often times a ALTA survey is done, following the legal description, to show the accurate Plot plan. What you find on the county assessors web site is NOT a legal document, even though it is often used as a reference in Title reports for expediency.
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sat Dec 7, 2013
I don't remember a crazy question like that on any real estate exam, either for initial licensing or continuing education course exams.

All answers are multiple choice, so you'll have a 1 in 4 chance of getting it right & if you get this 1 question wrong, so what? It's not like that question or the right answer pertains to anything the average Realtor deals with on a daily basis.

For this type of thing, I would just tell a concerned client "Call the city or Hire a Surveyor", they're the experts when it comes to a question like this.

I don't look back on this same Trulia posting for Answers or Replies posted after mine.

Emily S. Knell
EmilyKnell1@yahoo.com
562-430-3053 c
Realtor Since--- 1996
Realty ONE Group
BRE# 01211967
Emily, a lot of the stuff I am reading in the books is a bunch of crap when becoming an agent in real estate. I know this, but what should I study and learn that will be on the state exam?
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013
Flag Wed Dec 4, 2013