Property Q&A in Georgetown>Question Details

Catlady, Other/Just Looking in Georgetown, MA

RE: sewer betterment-if the prop. owner does not tie into the public sewer, are they still liable for the betterment assessment?

Asked by Catlady, Georgetown, MA Sat Aug 7, 2010

We are electing to stay on septic rather than tie into the public sewer.

Answers

3
Matt is right. Furthermore the buyer will not be able to get a mortgage unless the betterment is paid as lenders consider this a lien on the property that must be paid by the homeowner just like taxes. I had a property in Medfield my buyers were purchasing and they were going to pay the betterment but the banks said it had to be paid off first by the homeowners. Betterments, like property taxes, are not assumable.
Agree with Matt. If at all possible hook up to the sewer. Many buyers will consider it a plus to have sewer over septic.
Betterments can be for many things. However, once a betterment is "attached" to a property, the properties owner is responsible for paying it. So if Sewer comes down your street, and there will be a betterment of $5000 if you don't hook up, and $6000 if you do, you're on the hook either way. I will say this though: Seriously consider hooking up.
1) Remove the risk of having a septic failure and those future costs.
2) Your home will likely increase in value hooked up to sewer. Not much, but savvy buyers pay more.
3) Betterments can be borrowed at great rates, typically very low interest, supported by the town. Oftentimes, that option doesn't exist for septic failure.