Property Q&A in 95129>Question Details

Bob Hot Sauce, Home Seller in 95129

RE: Popcorn ceilings -- A bit old-fashioned I guess, but are they a selling problem? [B] And more importantoly, for going to hardwood floors,

Asked by Bob Hot Sauce, 95129 Sun Nov 8, 2009

aren't they great for "echo" noise reduction?

Answers

7
I think always a good idea to remove them if you are remodeling.
"Popcorn" ceilings were in fashion years ago but are not looked upon favorably by buyers. Contractors used this type of material to finish the ceiling cheaply and it covers cracks. Some of these ceilings may contain asbestos so it is best to seek the advice of a professional when dealing with them.

It is one of the finishes that result in the best return on investment. As for sound proofing I doubt that it very effective as the layer is very thin. If you are concerned about "echo" furniture, area carpets, drapes, etc. will aid in absorbing the sound.

If you can't remove the texture due to asbestos, you may consider putting drywall over it. This will add to insulation value and appearance. Please do have a contractor verify the material.
Web Reference: http://www.terrivellios.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
You won't go wrong by removing the popcorn ceilings. It is a messy job and I would recommend hiring someone else to get the job done. Is it a subtle difference that Buyers my not necessarily notice immediately, but believe me, they DO notice when popcorn ceilings are present.. Another tip, paint the ceilings the same color as the walls. Warm neutrals will be your best bet, Also, get rid of paint colors that may be suited for kids rooms if you can. Continuity in color on interior walls flows and sells better. It's the newer look and really warms a room up when you do. Crown moulding here and there is another inexpensive way to dress up and update interior spaces. One more inexpensive tip. Frame bathroom mirrors with wood trim and paint black or white. It gives the room a more finished higher end look. I could go on and on with inexpensive fixes.

Lastly, remember you only get one opportunity to make a great first impression. Imagine yourself as the Buyer when you look at your home. If you do, you'll come away winning every time!

Jessica Dodge
Keller Williams Realty/Silicon Valley
408-838-1480
Web Reference: http://www.thedodgeteam.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Hi Bob,

You do have some good answers below, to sum it up I will suggest the following:

What kind of condition your house is in? Is it still in the original condition or has been updated. If you have newer kitchen and newer bathrooms and you are going to change the floors to the hardwood, then changing
the popcorn ceiling is a definite benefit. It is relatively inexpensive but has a huge impact on the cosmetic looks of the house. Sounds like you are planning to change the flooring, so change the ceiling prior to the flooring. Also check with your agent and see what they suggest, since they can eye the property.

By making these changes not only you get a better return you will also sell faster and more on your terms. So popcorn ceiling while not a selling problem, removal is definitely an added benefit. Is the flooring on top of a slab? If it is not on the slab noise factor is very low. Both of these changes are good selling points. However,
again check with your realtor and see what is your investment in making these changes and what is the estimated difference in the return you'll get. If the numbers make sense to you go for it. Hope this helps,
good luck with your project and sale.

Regards
Monica Goyal, Realtor
DRE #01781926
Keller William Realty
milapo_2@yahoo.com
Ph: 408-476-0675
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
hello Bob
thank you for your questions and ask me some questions:
1/ the ceiling of my house listing donot have any problem. the popcorn ceiling is easy to get off with some one else to do the job .
2/ This floor house had new carpet. a part of living room had vinyl. if you want to replace hardwood floors that is great. 2 options. you choose hardwood and pay for labors, or you can hire a professional to work for this.
This house is greatl arge model home in Baycolony with the best school. Very good location for family to get the great neighborhood , convenience location, while we can not get the house in Cupertino, Saratoga, Sunnyvale , santa Clara.If you have any question you can direct to me
Phone 408 644 5490
email:plduyen@yahoo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Bob Hot Sauce (love the name!)

Popcorn ceilings simply "age" the home. Some buyers have fits about it and insist it must go. (Not that expensive to do but can be needs to be tested for asbestos content.) Other buyers don't even notice. The "dirtier" it is the more noticeable it can be to buyers. I would put it on the "nice to change" list and not necessity depending other show components of the home. For example, if the kitchen is original 1950, popcorn ceilings are not on the radar. In this market, buyers are looking for "move-in-able" condition. They generally don't have the extra monies to get into remodeling because lenders are actually requiring down payments.

In regards to hardwood echo, an area rug immediately absorbs the sound of a room created by hardwood floors. (It doesn't have to cover much.) I would say hardwood on slab creates a little bit more echo than hardwood on post/pier foundation types. Hardwood/wood floors can be great for those who have allergies. I see a split between buyers. Some like carpet and some like wood flooring.

It is great if you can consult with an agent or stager prior to deciding what (if anything) to change about the house. It is good to find out what changes offer "bang for the buck".

CJ
Web Reference: http://www.TalkToCJ.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009
Hi Bob,
Getting rid of popcorn ceilings is not that expensive and the payoff is well worth the effort. I have referrals if you are looking for someone to do the job.
Homebuyers love hardwood floors and it is a great selling point. Is it important to install or refinish them before going on the market? Depends if you are having to replace bad flooring anyway - hardwood is the most popular choice preferred by homebuyers. I have a great contractor to refer to you if you need one.
All the best!
Tina Klabo
Intero Real Estate Services
(408) 832-0390
tklabo@interorealestate.com
Web Reference: http://www.tinaklabo.com
0 votes Thank Flag Link Sun Nov 8, 2009