Property Q&A in Gravesend>Question Details

lucyholiday, Other/Just Looking in Brooklyn, NY

Questioning the year the house was built

Asked by lucyholiday, Brooklyn, NY Mon Sep 16, 2013

I believe the house was built before 1930, my da was born in the house in 1915 and there are siblings before him born in 1911

--
This question was asked from this property: http://www.trulia.com/homes/New_York/Brooklyn/sold/20946881-…

Answers

1
Most public records for older Brooklyn houses will have "Built" dates as in the early 1900's.
You will never see a date of the 1800's because they did not keep public records in the same way in the 1800's. But anyone who knows anything about Brooklyn Houses, knows that many buildings were built in the 1800's and a few even earlier.
Older houses are dated from the time they started keeping records, not actually the real "built" date. The City started keeping the records from 1910 and many neighborhoods did not get recorded until the 1930's.
So yes, your fathers birth place may well have been built long before the public record "built" date.
Yours,
Kathryn Lilly, Broker
Realty on the Greene, LLC
718-858-7600
KLilly@RealtyontheGreene.com