Property Q&A in Queens>Question Details

Yekasi, Other/Just Looking in

Purchasing a house that already have ADT installed.

Asked by Yekasi, Wed Feb 22, 2012

Hello
I am buying a house, which already have the ADT installed. All the windows/doors, have sensors installed already.

I want to know, after the closing - and if i want to continue to use alarm system to secure my house. Do i need to go with ADT in order to reuse their alarms/sensors?

another question i have is, if all the existing windows already have alarms sensors, and I am replacing all the windows -- can those sensors be reused by re-sticking them back onto the new window? THey are hardwired sensors.

Thanks. Sorry for the question, i have never lived in a house where it has alarms installed.

Answers

4
I think that it would probably be best to ask the company to see what can be done about that. If you don't want to use it anymore, I don't think it will affect anything to just keep everything where it is. But it might be good for you to just look into renewing the ADT system, because then you wouldn't have to worry about replacing the sensors and alarms for another system. http://www.miamifloridahomesecurity.com/articles_9.html
Is the same as cable and phone providers. The wiring stays and you only change the provider.Very simple
I'm not sure. I would talk to the previous owners and see how they did it as well as call the security installation company. They can probably help you with everything you need. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you! http://www.allpoint.com.au/services/alarm-installation/
Flag Thu Jan 15, 2015
You are free to use any alarm company you wish, or none at all. If you choose to remain with the current company and plan on replacing any windows, doors, etc., let them know as rewiring may be necessary.
Yekasi, it is a good question. You are not required to continue with the same service. If you decide to go with another service, they will want to sell you their own wiring and box.

If you wish to stay with the ADT service, call them and negotiate. Tell them you will stay with them if they will come out and rewire for free. If they refuse and you have to pay anyway, you then have choices of other companies.

Or, you can do away with the alarm system altogether.