Property Q&A in Rio Rancho>Question Details

James, Home Owner in Rio Rancho, NM

Purchased home on 10/09 and received the $8,000 first time credit. Is there anyway around the 3 yr rule? My partner is being transferred to WA. USFS.

Asked by James, Rio Rancho, NM Mon Dec 6, 2010

She is an employee of the US Forest Service.

Answers

4
Yes, rent it. For the remaining time.
James,
If I wanted advice about my teeth, I would go to a dentist. If I wanted tax advice, I would consult with a tax professional. I suggest that is what you should do.
Do I have to pay the homebuyer tax credit back? How much is the credit for? $7,500 or $8,000?

It depends. For homes purchased in 2008, the $7,500 credit (or 10% of purchase price, if less) operates much like an interest-free loan. You generally can repay it equal installments over a 15-year period unless you move out or sell the home earlier than that. The maximum credit is reduced to $3,750 for married individuals filing separately.

For homes purchased in 2009, you must repay the $8,000 credit (or 10% of purchase price, if less) only if the home ceases to be your main home within the 36-month period beginning on the purchase date. The maximum credit is reduced to $4,000 for married individuals filing separately.

What is the definition of main home? Does a condo count? How about an RV.

Your main home is the one you live in most of the time. It can be a house, houseboat, housetrailer, cooperative apartment, condominium, or other type of residence.

For more info or a one on one consultation I can be reached at 505-449-7003 Mike Lizzi Allstar Realty. I am not a tax professional but I can help.
You might want to talk to your accountant and see what the repercussions are if you try and sell it or even rent it out.